Emulisfying with a Stand Mixer?

Steve_A (Tatoosh)

TVWBB Super Fan
I've been enjoying Ruhlman & Polcyn's Charcuterie, though I understand some of the recipes are a bit unbalanced, according to knowledgeable authorities here and elsewhere. In my sausage quest, particularly the hotdog portion of that quest, I was pleasantly surprised to find that you can emulsify the meat with a stand mixer in place of a food processor. Since my wife is on a serious baking fling at the moment, it was the perfect time to surprise her with a Kitchen Aid Pro 600 mixer. What I also found while hunting accessories was a water bath for the mixing bowl. Bingo! So now I will be able to keep the mixing bowl in an ice water bath while emulsifying the meat. I may still need to add some crushed ice, but I am guessing I won't need nearly as much to keep the meat from overheating.

Since we are currently residing in the Philippines, it will take a couple of months for the Kitchen Aid and accessories to bob across the Pacific Ocean, but by June, I expect to have it up and running. I'll post some photos when it is here. But in the mean time, is any of you sausage makers using mixers, either for the "primary bind" of spices and ingredients, or for emulsifying?

I don't have a food processor, but a powerful mixer. It takes a strong mixer to mix almost frozen sausage, so I hope your Kitchen aid is strong enough. If I remember right, my machine has a 1200 watt motor, and it does the job.
I have emulsified sausage meat several times without any problems.

Good luck, and remember to post pictures!

Last edited:
Mine won't be that strong, so I will be adding some crushed ice to help keep the temperature down while the meat will be chilled but not frozen. But it is reportedly rated at 575 watts, so I will likely be doing smaller batches. However with the water bath, the mixing bowl will sit in ice water that is quite salty, you can get the water temperature down in the 9F to 18F range pretty easy that way, as most of us that have made ice cream the old fashioned way know.

Thanks for letting me know it works for you, that is very encouraging news. Photos will follow down the road, I guarantee!

Specifically it worked for me in a smaller KA 5qt pivot top mixer with the weisswurst in Charcuterie which is not a traditional emulsification as I understand it due to the large amount of powdered milk. It works, though.

That recipe is boss.

YSpJGHX.jpg

Last edited:

Back