NG to LP conversion idea...specs needed.

Steve Cruise

I understand from Weber customer service that the only difference between the NG and LP is the diameter of the orifice and the hose.

I wanted to verify if this was true and to ask for your assistance in obtaining the orifice diameter for all of us to use for conversions.

The next time any of you change a burner, valve or have the free time to check, please post the orifice size of your grill. (The easiest way to measure the orifice is with a numbered drill set)

The valves are different too. More volume of NG is required to flow so it makes sense the valve would be different.

Some grills years ago came with convertible valves. They had a set screw and instructions how to set the screw for which type of gas.

Before that people would just drill out orifices. In Canada it became illegal (at least for businesses) to do this unless it also had a convertible valve. The appropriate valve must accompany the orifices.

Since LP requires smaller orifices you would need to replace the valves unless you were really good at brazing the openings and drilling holes in the right spot. Not easy to do on the Weber valve bodies.

The other direction is rather simple and can be done with wire sized hand drill set from Harbor Freight for under $5.00, keep in mind that everyone is going to have different pressures and hose lengths & diameters so orifice size needs to be dialed in. Not hard work, but you should be familiar and comfortable with gas & testing for leaks etc.

My LP orifices measured out to approx 57 & 68

Sam, I was thinking to drill and tap for set screws with the proper size orifice. One set for LP and one for NG. Also, which orifices do your 2 diameters refer to?

Basically, I would really like to switch between LP or NG if needed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Cruise:
Sam, I was thinking to drill and tap for set screws with the proper size orifice. One set for LP and one for NG. Also, which orifices do your 2 diameters refer to?

Basically, I would really like to switch between LP or NG if needed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doubt that what you want to do will work. Drilling out the low flame orifice within the valve body would be a challenge with set screws. Not enough metal to work with. See this website which will give you most of what you would need to know http://web.archive.org/web/200...b.com/conversion.htm

The numbers I posted were the approx values for High flame & low flame LP orifices measured with wire gauge bits inserted into the holes. I won't mention the NG orifices sizes because those depend greatly on your set up, pipe sizes, house NG pressure, etc.

I had an extra manifold to play around with so if I screwed up I could just go back to LP. Now if I wanted I could swap out either manifold.

My NG grill does not get as hot as the propane version but close enough to make me happy I don't have to go get tanks refilled.

Back