One rub or meat specific?

Gary N

TVWBB Member
I did a search already and got some info but was just curious about different rubs for different meats. I have seen alot of brisket specific rubs that have only 4-5 ingredients as not to mask the flavor of the beef. I have seen some poultry specific rubs with rosemary, sage and even tarragon.
Does everyone just use one rub or meat specific rubs?

No 1 rub here. I too mix up a new rub for every cook. Certain herbs and spices pair up with specific meats very well, so a 1 rub fits all wouldn't work IMO.

You mention the poultry rub. Many have sage in them which is a classic pairing. Sage on the other hand doesn't do much for beef IMO. Rosemary with lamb is another classic, but rosemary is strong and might not work with all meats.

I enjoy experimenting and the variety of mixing up new rubs. I have yet to taste a rub or sauce that is the end all and prompt me to never create a new one.

Paul

I typically use one rub for all meats. At the same time, I use a wide variety of finishing sauces depending on the meat, and the taste I'm in the mood for.

Different rubs for different meats -- and different rubs for the same meat but for different cooks.

I can't quite imagine a rub for brisket with 4-5 ingredients that I wouldn't find extremely lacking.

I thought the same thing on the beef rub. Mike Mills lists a beef rub in PL & Bbq that he says his typical of what is used on beef in Texas as a dry rub. The idea he says is to enhance the flavor of the meat and not taste the rub.
Has:
paprika
kosher salt
coarse ground pepper
cayenne
I have seen some other rub recipes from Texas for beef/brisket that has maybe one or two more ingredients added to the ones above.
Interesting thought, I may have to give it a try.

Yes, true -- and is why I find the brisket in Texas so uniformly lacking in flavor. After eating at literally dozens of Q spots in Texas I cannot say I have ever had brisket that was truly remarkable in terms of flavor. Tenderness, yes; flavor no.

Paprika does not have much flavor to begin with and what it has cannot stand up to long cooking. Cayenne has heat but virtually no flavor. So essentially you end up with salt, pepper and some heat which, yes, is typical of much Texas brisket.

The notion that beef needs to be treated delicately -- like it is chicken breast or something -- is utterly without merit (it's beef!) and betrays a lack of knowledge on the part of the cook. If someone wants to cook with salt and pepper alone fine, who am I to judge? (But don't invite me to dinner.) A rub can have 50 ingredients or 5. If it is overwhelming then that is the fault of the cook, not the beef --which can handle quite a bit of flavor additions if they are combined skillfully and -- and this is important -- applied with a judicious hand.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Yes, true -- and is why I find the brisket in Texas so uniformly lacking in flavor. After eating at literally dozens of Q spots in Texas I cannot say I have ever had brisket that was truly remarkable in terms of flavor. Tenderness, yes; flavor no.

Paprika does not have much flavor to begin with and what it has cannot stand up to long cooking. Cayenne has heat but virtually no flavor. So essentially you end up with salt, pepper and some heat which, yes, is typical of much Texas brisket.

The notion that beef needs to be treated delicately -- like it is chicken breast or something -- is utterly without merit (it's beef!) and betrays a lack of knowledge on the part of the cook. If someone wants to cook with salt and pepper alone fine, who am I to judge? (But don't invite me to dinner.) A rub can have 50 ingredients or 5. If it is overwhelming then that is the fault of the cook, not the beef --which can handle quite a bit of flavor additions if they are combined skillfully and -- and this is important -- applied with a judicious hand. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly why most of my rubs have cumin as a major player. I got off the paprika bandwagon years ago. It's just color in my opinion.

Kitchen sink rubs tend to be too overwhelming and nothing is distinct.

Kevin,
Thanks for the info on brisket in Texas. I have never been there but always see these briskets and they look awesome (tender and look like loads of flavor). I like alot of flavor so the minimal rub for beef would not suite me.
Great info on paprika also.
This site is great for learning and all the knowledge available!

Well, just my opinion of course, but I find barbecue in Texas extremely overrated. That said, there are places that do a good job; for me that means they make a good sauce. I like meat served sauceless (I cannot stand ribs cooked with sauce applied, especially) with the sauce(s) on the side. I am a huge sauce fan but the meat should be able to stand on its own. I only occasionally have had brisket in Texas come kinda sorta close to this, but virtually never ribs.

Contrary to what is commonly thought (even and especially among Texans) there is no such thing as 'Texas barnecue' in terms meaning anything other than brisket being common. There is no particular rub style, no particular sauce style, no single type of wood used (mesquite is less common than most think), no one approach (several places use a high heat method for some or all of the smoking/cooking process for their briskets -- yes, even some famous places -- while others do not). The lack of commonality is really a non-issue to me, I just find it fascinating that the myth carries on. (Don't get me wrong though -- no commercial barbecue anywhere in the country has ever blown me away; only a handful or two would even approach 'good-to-very-good' in my book, though I keep looking. I have had, hither and yon, lots of superb backyard Q however -- even in Texas
icon_smile.gif
)

I live in Texas, and I have yet to find a Texas bbq that I really love. I am much more of a fan of Kansas City style......

I agree that I would like to taste a good rub on the meat. It really enhances the flavor. My wife loves sauce on her meat when eating, not while cooking - I tend to enjoy no sauce - especially on ribs.

Back