Holding Pulled Pork 2/3 hours?

BrianH

I am doing 4 butts overnight tonight for a big party tomorrow. Assuming they are pulled around 9/10am - is it better to keep the pulled pork warm in a crock pot for 2/3 hours? Or to bag it and chill it in fridge and then re-heat in Crockpot? THANKS

What time are you guessing they will be coming off the smoker?Depending upon your schedule, if you can: double wrap in aluminum foil and stick them in a cooler and then pull before serving. They will be good for several hours that way and you don't want to be pulling until they have had a chance to rest anyways.
Welcome to the board!

I think pulling, chilling and reheating is fine. I would probably do as Marc suggests, double wrap with heavy duty aluminum foil when you remove them from the smoker and place them in a cooler. Make sure you place an old towel or two on the bottom of the cooler, so the bottom of it doesn't melt. I use two towels on the bottom and one over the foiled meat. You can easily get 3-4+ hours in the cooler and the butts will still be very hot.

I doubt you have a crockpot large enough to hold 4 butts worth of PP.
icon_wink.gif

Whole butts will keep for hours as Marc described. But pulled will not.

What time so you want to serve?

Do you want to make a 'show' of pulling?

You could hold the whole butts and pull an hour before serving time and hold in alum pans in a low oven.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BradP "p-nut":
I've double foiled and then wrapped in a bath towel and cooler'd for up to 4hrs and the meat was still very hot during pulling. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>+1

So I pulled em right before the party and put them in two crock pots. Worked like a charm, they were gone really fast. Best ones yet! Lots of compliments. I used bear paws to pull them - those make it go much faster then large forks. Thanks for the help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BrianH:
I am doing 4 butts overnight tonight for a big party tomorrow. Assuming they are pulled around 9/10am - is it better to keep the pulled pork warm in a crock pot for 2/3 hours? Or to bag it and chill it in fridge and then re-heat in Crockpot? THANKS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do this all the time for office retirements. Someone figured out I know how to smoke shoulders. We used to request either a covered dish or a $5 donation to eat and lost money every time. Since I've started providing pulled pork we make money and run out of meat everytime!!! (and I learned it all on TVWBB).

I start mine around noon to 2pm the afternoon before and pull them at 195 degrees. Four shoulders are usually done by 8:30 the next morning. I then pull the whole shoulder off the WSM and double foil and place them in a mid-sized Coleman cooler that is just the right size for 4 shoulders. Close it up and then head for the office. I "pulling" or fork shreadding the pork around 11:15 and put them in the disposable foil chaffing pans over heated water & covered with foil. Never had a complaint nor cold food either.

I promise you that even after sitting 3 hours in a cooler they will be too hot to handle (still smoking hot).

PS - Spray them with a mix of apple juice and pineapple juice as you pull and wrap them. This softens up the bark and also adds a hint of additional flavors.

Only thing to be aware of when you use the cooler method, is if you are planning on leaving it in the cooler for more than 4 hrs., pull it off the smoker when the interal temp is at 190°. Then the carry over cooking doesn't make the meat to mushy. I have gone 6 hrs. in the cooler with two 8lb. butts and still burned my fingers when I went to pull it. lol

Back