Smoking at lower heats?

Anne Garber

Is a 275 degree grill going to cause my wood chips to smoke? I'm thinking about smoking my ribs as I do them low/slow, but I'm wondering how effective my SS smoker box will be at that temp.

Anybody have experience doing this?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Anne Garber:
Is a 275 degree grill going to cause my wood chips to smoke? I'm thinking about smoking my ribs as I do them low/slow, but I'm wondering how effective my SS smoker box will be at that temp.

Anybody have experience doing this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Does your grill have a burner just for the smoker box? My Summit Gold D has one, that's why I'm asking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
if ya have problems smoking on the gasser why not install a remote smoker ?
http://porkypas.com/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This intrigues me. How exactly does it attach to/work with the hot grill? The FAQ says it can be easily attached, but I just want to be sure this doesn't require any "grill modifications" if you know what I mean! ; )

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Does your grill have a burner just for the smoker box? My Summit Gold D has one, that's why I'm asking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have a Weber E310 so I would say no, unless I put the smoker box over the burner that's on (just don't know if that's enough heat to smoke). My box is the 2" x 10" SS with holes in it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have a Weber E310 so I would say no, unless I put the smoker box over the burner that's on (just don't know if that's enough heat to smoke). My box is the 2" x 10" SS with holes in it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Anne, you would place the smoker box on top of the flavorizer bar of the lit burner you are using for the low heat cook.

It looks to me like you have to drill a hole somewhere on the grill to attach the smoker. I'll pass on this equipment.

Anne, if you don't think your smoker box will work...maybe you think the metal is too thick? Try making a aluminum foil pouch.

ann, you would need to drill a hole on the side or wherever of the grill. can be used to hot and cold smoke food. i think its a great idea and solves a lot of issues. i'm making one for myself.

Ann, I have a product made buy Weber called Steam n Chips model 9879 that works pretty well on my 2005 Genesis Silver C. Not sure about your E-310 but after looking at it on Weber’s site, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. It fits over the flavorizer bars and uses the crossover burner to heat the chips. Amazon has one but it is a little pricey considering I bought a stainless steel version on ebay for only $20.Weber is great though, first one had a bent cooking great so they sent me a new one. Later one of the rivets that hold the stainless steel cover on the box fell out and they sent me a brand new complete unit including another grate. I hope this helps. http://www.amazon.com/Weber-98...id=1249436291&sr=8-1

Back