Linkmeter stops graphing data

Tom Kole

TVWBB Pro
I ran into a situation today during a cook where my linkmeter continued to show the realtime probe values but stopped graphing the data. It just continually showed the scrolling progress meter. I restarted the browser a number of times but the only way I got it back was to hard reset the linkmeter causing me to lose all of the cook data. Any ideas about what could have caused this?

I had a similar problem hours into a cook. The temp and the Pit were fine. I just thought maybe my Linksys was low on memory and just glitching. Don't know if this is true or not, but was my thoughts. All I really cared about was the Temp and pit so I didn't pay it much attention. Another thought I had was maybe from continually logging into the Linkmeter and from multiple devices was causing problems for me.

I did notice that on my most recent cook of 18 hours that I used two devices to log in from and I didn't seem to have that problem this time.

I've never seen this happen. What do you mean it "showed the scrolling progress meter"? The graph itself wasn't showing new points or any points or what? When it stops updating, check the Status -> System Log tab in the web interface and check for any errors at the end. You also can try restarting the lucid service to see if that works around the issue.

If that doesn't work, you can save your data through a reboot by "stashing" the current database then once you reboot you can "activate as current" from the stash page. This option is only available if the database's date/time is within the last 24 hours.

When I first connect to the linkmeter through my web browser, it always starts by displaying the pit and other probe values at the top of the screen along with a horizontal scrolling progress meter in place of the graph, followed by the graph after several seconds. During my cook yesterday, the graph disappeared after some time and was replaced by that continuous scrolling progress meter. If it ever happens again, I will try your suggestions.

Oh that progress meter! Yeah that is actually just a loading animation. If it doesn't go away, that means that it is waiting for the LinkMeter to respond with the graph data. It can hang indefinitely at this step if there are too many connections open to the router at once. There is a limit of 2 simultaneous connections (due to memory constraints), and the streaming status update keeps 1 open. Make sure you do not have the status open from any other device, or have it open to the Internet where a random person might be hitting it too.

If you can't find who the other connected person is, you can telnet/ssh into the router and run `netstat -n | grep :80`
Code:
root@OpenWrt:/# netstat -n | grep :80
tcp        0    190 192.168.2.3:80          192.168.100.139:58686   ESTABLISHED
The IP address on the right side is the IP address of the host preventing you from connecting.

Oh that progress meter! Yeah that is actually just a loading animation. If it doesn't go away, that means that it is waiting for the LinkMeter to respond with the graph data. It can hang indefinitely at this step if there are too many connections open to the router at once. There is a limit of 2 simultaneous connections (due to memory constraints), and the streaming status update keeps 1 open. Make sure you do not have the status open from any other device, or have it open to the Internet where a random person might be hitting it too.

If you can't find who the other connected person is, you can telnet/ssh into the router and run `netstat -n | grep :80`
Code:
root@OpenWrt:/# netstat -n | grep :80
tcp        0    190 192.168.2.3:80          192.168.100.139:58686   ESTABLISHED
The IP address on the right side is the IP address of the host preventing you from connecting.

I figured that was the problem on my first cook when I logged in from two computers, 2 iPads and 2 iPhones at once after that it was a problem, and on the recent cook I didn't do more then the iPad and the one computer and it was fine the entire time.

Hopefully this was your problem.

Back