Wood on Smokey Joe Prenium !

Jonathan G

Hi,

I'm french, so sorry for my bad english.

I just bought a Smokey Koe Prenium (We have only this portable model in france.. :() and i want make pizza with him, like a pizza oven. I want use wood, like in the restaurant, but Weber Team told me the wood are dangerous for the barbecue, the temperature will be to high for the barbecue.

_ That's true we can't use wood on weber?
_ If i use wood with charcoal, it's better?
_You have some Feedback of pizza in Smokey Joe?

Thanks in advance
Best regards !

Hmm, I think you can still use wood, but charcoal/briquettes should work equally well to get the high temperatures and could be much easier to use and handle than wood. The main thing you need for pizza's is a pizza stone.

Thanks for your answer, in fact i want use wood to have this similar smell and tast like in the restaurant!

i think i will add sometimes some little pieces of wood to have the same result of restaurant !

thanks again !

JoNathan try to find some all-natural charcoal (briquettes or lump) and use that instead. You will still get the wood flavor in your pizza. You may even try to throw some wood chips on the coals. Pizza stone is a must also.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answer, i will buy the pizza stone (36.5cm), i have once for my E310 prenium (Weber style) but she can't work with the Smokey Joe, too big!

I think i will post the result soon !

Thanks again !

thanks.

I have a last question, you think the taste of the pizza on weber E310 prenium (pizza stone weber style) and pizza stone on wood/charcoal weber (smokey joe prenium) are the same?

What do you think about the KettlePizza? (i can built one myself at my job!)

Jonathan, check out the recent re-evaluation of the Kettle Pizza by Serious Eats. They found it to be superb with a few easy modifications. Mostly consists of using both charcoal and wood (as the maker of Kettle Pizza recommends), then two grates and stones. Food grate with stone for cooking pizza. Second grate at top of the insert with a second stone and complete cover of foil to act as a ceiling, so the hotter air does not go up into the dome lid, but is retained by the top stone or directed toward the top of the pizza you are cooking. Much better cooking.

Mixing the charcoal and wood gives you both long fire and hotter temperature. Your oven will cook similar to a wood fired oven, then the outcome will depend upon your pizza dough and toppings. That is a whole different area of expertise. There are forums dedicated to the many variations and approaches to pizza. But your Weber with the appropriate modifications will definitely handle your cooking requirements.

Good Luck!

Back