Doug's Smoked Mushroom Dip

Doug D

TVWBB Hall of Fame
We pay through the nose at a local high-end grocery for this, it's darn tasty, and I knew I could duplicate it. Already having a smoker helps.

Doug's Smoked Mushroom Dip

8 oz. sliced fresh mushrooms, smoked*
12 oz. Whipped Philly Cream Cheese
8 oz. Sour Cream
1/8 t. garlic powder
1 t. onion flakes, ground
1 t. kosher salt
2-3 T. pine nuts, finely chopped
fresh ground black pepper
2 small chunks hickory wood

*Butter a small 10x14" baking pan, and spread mushroom slices out in a single layer. Add fresh ground pepper to suit. Place in 235-250° smoker, add smokewood, and smoke for 75-90 minutes. The slices should be cooked, but still slightly firm. Remove and allow to cool. (During a rib cook, I set the pan on top of some foiled ribs, and just threw the wood on top of the coals.)

In a 6 cup bowl, fold together cream cheese and sour cream. Add garlic powder, onion, salt, and pine nuts, and mix in thoroughly. Chop smoked mushroom slices coarsely (1/4" - 1/2" pieces), and fold into base mixture. Refrigerate and allow flavors to combine for at least a few hours.

For a thicker, chunkier dip, reduce sour cream to either 4 or 6 ounces, starting with 4 and adding as desired.

Made your smoked mushroom dip, Doug. I used fresh mushrooms. Couldn't tell if it shoulda been canned ones.

Anyway, I let it sit in the fridge for a few hours, tried it with a few potato chips - fantastic!

Came home from work the next day thinking about having some more with potato chips - it was gone! Strange, the potato chips are still there. Where's the mushroom dip? My son informs me that Mommy ate it. With what? I think a fork.

She ate the entire containers worth, minus the little bit I had sampled. I guess it was good!

My bad, I will edit. Yes, sliced fresh mushrooms only. They soak up the smoke nicely, and when integrated into the base mixture, everything balances out quite well. Don't be tempted to add more onion or garlic. When used as a dip for veggies, definitely cut back on the sour cream-- for chips and crackers, or to extend the recipe, go with more. I'm liking it with just 4 oz. sour cream in either case.

Hide the next batch in an inconspicuous container in the back of the refigerator.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
A selection of sauces is nice if doing meatballs as an hors d'oeuvre: Doug D's smoked mushroom dip, thinned with light cream or milk and adjusted for salt (I like a fresh thyme mince addition) makes a great sauce...
Another use I found for this is, if you're in a Paula Deen mood, thin about 1/2 cup of the dip with a little milk to a very thick liquid consistency. Slice 4 small yellow squash, zucchini, or a combination into 1/2" slices. Place in a butter-greased small casserole dish. Mix in the sauce to coat all pieces well, and bake covered at 350° for 45 minutes or until squash is tender.

Doug,
I love 'shrooms, but my wife is a REAL 'shroom maniac. I am thinking of putting her in "schroom rehab"! This sounds really good, I think we need to try this, thanks so much.

Doug, I don't know how I missed this recipe! I made a smoked beef tenderloin for my daughter's engagement party in August and a friend has asked me to make one for her son's upcoming engagement party....the ultimate compliment, right? I wish I'd seen the recipe before then.

I think your dip would make a wonderful sauce for the beef tenderloin because the smoke flavor dissipated very quickly from mine after one day....and I was certain that I'd oversmoked it (it was my first try) and it was very smoky when I sliced it the day before.

Thanks for posting you recipe!

Rita

Originally posted by John Mason:
Made your smoked mushroom dip, Doug. I used fresh mushrooms. Couldn't tell if it shoulda been canned ones.

Anyway, I let it sit in the fridge for a few hours, tried it with a few potato chips - fantastic!

Came home from work the next day thinking about having some more with potato chips - it was gone! Strange, the potato chips are still there. Where's the mushroom dip? My son informs me that Mommy ate it. With what? I think a fork.

She ate the entire containers worth, minus the little bit I had sampled. I guess it was good!

Holy moly ~ I am on the floor!

It was hilarious.

"With what?" I was thinking - carrot sticks, celery sticks.

My 4-year-old son, with a very serious look on his face as he thought about my question.

icon_biggrin.gif

Doug, your dip was a great success and I won't smoke anything in the future without adding a pan of mushrooms, maybe two, to the grate.

I took a small amount of dried porcini, broke them into small pieces, and soaked them in hot water for about 20 minutes, drained them (reserved the soaking liquid to add to a stockpot), and added them to the pan with the sliced mushrooms (I used creminis). I left the onion flakes as they were for texture, although the mushrooms gave the dip enough. I was out of pine nuts but didn't seem to miss them because the dip had such great flavor. I did chop the mushrooms a little finer for easier scooping - would leave them in whole slices for a pasta sauce.

I only had space on my grate for a 5 1/2 x 8-inch foil pan set inside the curve of the beef tenderloin, so I piled the mushrooms lightly in that and they took on the smoke just fine. One layer is not necessary if you don't have the space. I used a small amount of oak.

Besides the porcini, my only additions were a little mayonnaise, some crushed Aleppo chiles, 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander, a pinch of sugar, some white pepper, and about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice. The dip was outstandingly wonderful without these additions but I just couldn't resist tinkering a little.

I'm thinking an adaptation of your dip would be a knockout for a mushroom sauce for pasta. It was a great dip with celery, pretzels, crackers, almost anything. I even ate it with......a spoon!

Thanks for sharing it!

Rita

Ding Ding Ding... WE have a winner here folks. I can't wait to try it today after the dip has had some time to meld the tastes together a bit.

Thanks for a great recipe.

I made this a couple weeks ago and everyone loved. I then doubled the recipe for a New years party, and it still was not enough. Great recipe.

I haven't made the dip yet, but reading the link gave me an idea for the party we had last Saturday. I bought a couple of pounds of muchrooms (quite large), quartered them. Then added to the smoker on the top grid with the cuberoll, and polish sausage. Took them off after about 80 minutes and let cool. For the party, I took a large frying pan with EVOO, butter, and about 6 crushed garlic cloves plus sea salt, fresh ground black pepper and tossed them in the pan for about 5 minutes. When I served them they vanished within seconds. They came out great. The only reason I know is that I tried one when in the pan. Never had chance later. Thanks for prompting the idea Doug.

I have to agree with everyone else, made this tonight and it is both incredible and easy! What more could you ask for! Thanks for the recipe!

I made this awhile back using crimini mushrooms, and it rocked! Thanks for sharing the recipe, a definite winner.
Steve

I stuffed ABTs with it Labor Day, and grilled indirect on my kettle. I destemmed and cored them rather than split them in half, hoping the filling didn't melt and run out, but it didn't end up being an issue.

As an update, I've changed the way I put it together a little bit over the years. I now thoroughly combine everything but the cream cheese in the bowl first, and then fold that mixture and the cream cheese together.

Doug, Kevin, Rita and others. This recipe sounds so good but need some help here. Huge Shroom freak but can't stand cream cheese. Need a sub for the cream cheese. Thinking a combo of Ricotta, mayo and some goat cheese? Also was thinking of some caramelized onions in the mix. Thanks, Bryan

Bryan, the caramelized onions sound really good. And goat cheese is creamy. If you use ricotta, you might consider putting it through a blender or food processor to remove the graininess and smooth out the texture. I added some thyme to the last batch and liked it.

Your dip might be a little thinner than one made with cream cheese.

I wonder if the dip would get too smoky if you smoked the sliced onions before you caramelized them. Just a thought.

Rita

Just mixed up a batch of this and already love it before it's had a chance to sit for a few hours. I had seen Doug's reciped some time ago, but had never made it. Now, I'm looking for dipping sauce ideas and read further down the thread about thinning it out for a sauce. Made meatballs tonight and will let the dip sit overnight before thinning it out. I'm sure this will be a great combo to the meatballs. Thanks Doug!

Paul

Back