Pizza dough help

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
My pizzas have been coming along quite well. I'm using a screen and have been very satisfied with it. My only desire is to create a lighter dough; one with more air in it. Currently, it's a little on the dense side. I don't have a scale, so here's my basic recipe:

3/4 C water
2 C high gluten flour
1.5 T olive oil
1 T sugar
1 packet standard yeast

I work it in my bread maker (about 45 min cycle) and generally do a cold ferment for 1 - 3 days. Let it warm to room temp, shape, apply toppings and bake. This recipe yields 2 15" pies as I like a thin crust. Any suggestions on a lighter crust?

Paul

Paul, try increasing the amount of water by about 1 tablespoon to begin with. If that doesn't produce a dough that is lighter, add another tablespoon the next time you make the dough. The dough should be quite soft.

By increasing your water content, note that your fermentation time might be a little shorter.

Just curious...where are you getting your high-gluten flour? Does it have a 14% protein level (or how much protein per 1/4 cup)?

Rita

Rita,

I'll try increasing the water. Next step will be a scale...I know...I know...

I'll have to check the protein level on the flour. I'm using a local brand (HEB - it's a TX thing).

Thanks,

Paul

Paul, I am learning too. Based on what works for me...do as Rita says, add more water. Also, I would cut back on olive oil and sugar by 1/3 to as much as 1/2 the amounts you list. Good luck , let us know if these changes help.

Another approach would be to compare a 1/2 recipe of what I use rather than making several changes at once to what you are used to. So what follows is a half recipe of my everyday pizza crust.

2.6 cups flour (up to 1/4 cup whole wheat flour and the balance unbleached bread flour)

.5 teaspoon instant yeast

1.5 teaspoon kosher salt

1.5 teaspoon honey (can do sugar)

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 cup water

If I can wait, I'll ferment overnight or more.

P.S. Rita has probably baked 1000 more pies than I so pay particular attention to her comments.

Steve,

Thanks for the info. I've got a digital scale on order which should help with the measurements. I'll let you know how it works out.

Paul

Paul, Steve is right. Only make one change at a time or you won't know what worked.

Regarding sugar, I don't use any at all in my dough. Here are the DOUGH AND SAUCE RECIPES that I use. The dough is very stretchable and won't spring back on you.

Rita

Yes, Steve, that is true. From what I see, though, classic pizza dough does not contain sugar and relies on the high heat for browning.

To me, sugar in a pizza dough seems out of place. It is probably added to speed up fermentation...which is exactly the opposite of what you should be doing. Longer fermentation builds flavor in the dough.

Rita

I think you know who started me down the pizza path....P.Reinhart. I believe it (sugar or honey) was added for color. True classic dough, as you know, is just flour, salt, water and, yeast-no olive oil. I am sure I could go without the honey. I wonder if the olive oil is a crutch to make it easier to handle?
As I stated before I have eliminated hand stretching. I use the baggie spread. Cut the baggie down the sides, lay the dough on parchment, then use my hands like a roller on top of the open baggie to spread the dough leaving a nice lip on the edge. Using this method the oil helps lube the dough so it will spread evenly and easily.

Back