Cooking indirect on a Q100

Justin W

TVWBB Pro
Hey guys,
I was just wondering if this is possible. I've seen the Aussies have something called a "roasting trivet" that they use with foil as a diffuser, but haven't seen it here. I'm wondering if anybody here has come up with something else that will work.

Thanks!

Here is the roasting rack that will fit on the Q100:

Weber Q100 Roasting Rack

I have one of these but haven't used it yet. For my Q220, like George, I use a cooling rack from Dollar Tree. It has four small legs. I put foil on the grate then sit the rack on top of the foil.

Phil Hartcher has several posts in the Q forum about cooking indirect on the Q. Search his name in the forum and you will get some excellent advice on cooking on the Q's.

Pat

Thanks Pat. I found a cheap cooling rack so I'll try that. I think that will work great for reverse sear steaks and ribs.

I did not know about that roasting rack so thanks for pointing it out. I'm not sure that's exactly what I'm looking for because I'm not sure a roast is going to fit under my Q100 lid.

Hi,

we either use an extra grate or a stainless steel pan from IKEA (Konics). They come partially with grate. Using such a pan greatly keeps the food off direct heat.

We make usually our Christmas duck this way.

Happy Holidays!

Hi Justin

Seems like you have it sorted out. I will try to expand a bit on cooking on the Q series using a roasting trivet. This may give you all a few additional ideas.

The trivet that we use is a a wire rack with feet to lift it about 19 mm (3/4") off the grill. The rack is made with about 3/16 nickel and chrome plated steel rod with a gap of about 5/8" between the rods The ideal size is one that fits inside the grill with a gap of about 2' - 3" from the edges. In the grill section of some stoves there is a heavy duty wire rack that works well. You can use a heavy duty cake cooling rack. If you have something like that you can lift it off the grill by sitting it on 4 balls of foil about 3/4" to 1" high.
To set up for indirect cooking you need to create a reflective barrier between the food and the fire so we place a doubled over sheet of foil on the grill It should be no larger than the trivet if possible. The hot air has to rise and circulate around the food as a convection flow. If you reduce the flow too much it will restrict the amount of heat produced. We use a doubled sheet of foil as this creates a small air gap between the sheets of foil and stops it from over heating.
You should put a couple of small slits in the foil under where the meat will sit to allow some of the fat and juices to drip into the drip tray. I only put 2 as I want the fat and juices to boil off and impart that wonderful BBQ flavour.

I use the indirect method for cooking things that have a high sugar content in the marinade as this stops the sugars from burning and imparting that bitter burnt taste. it also make it easy to clean the BBQ afterwards. You just roll up the foil and throw it in the bin.

I also cook dishes on the trivet without the foil underneath. Lets take a spatchcocked chicken. If you cook it direct on the grill you will get a lot of searing/charing a burnt type of taste, this is because the cast iron grill holds a lot of heat thus producing the searing/charing. I place the chicken on the trivet which does not retain the heat that much and cook it skin side up first for about 15 minutes with the Q turned down 3 strokes from the high setting on the gas control and then turn it and cook skin side down for a further 15 minutes. I do it skin side up first as this "sets" the skin and reduces the skin sticking to the trivet. This method is also a good method of cooking dishes that are marinated with a high sugar content in the marinade.
It also lifts it a little higher above the heat to get a more even cook.

In my experience in cooking on the Q and demonstrating cooking on the Q I have found that the trivet is my most used accessory and the one that I always advise people to buy.
I have owned a Q220 (it started life as a Q200) for 7 years and it is just about due for retirement. I also own a Q120 which I use when travelling in my winnebago.

Using the foil and trivet method I can bake bread, cakes pastries. I also braise and roast using that method

My number 1 recommendation if you use the foil and trivet method is to oil your grill after you have finished while the grill is still hot this will protect the grill and stop it from rusting. The foil reflects and concentrates the heat at the grill which means it burns off the protective coating of oil you build up on the grill.

I hope this explains things a little bit and that you get some ideas on how you can do things using these methods.

If I can help in any other post your questions here. I don't visit this forum as much as I used to as I am one of the Moderator/Administrators on the Aussie BBQ forum and the Vice President of the ABBQA (Australian BBQ Association)
The Aussie BBQ Forum is also a good resource for info about cooking on the Weber Q series Australian Style - which really does not differ much from your style.

Beers and Cheers

Merry Christmas

This is great information, Phil. I wish the trivet was sold here. I don't understand why it would not be. Having said that, I think I found a suitable replacement on amazon. I found a 12 x 7.5 inch roasting rack that seems to fit the bill. I also found a roughly 10 x 6 inch that sits perfectly over and standard weber drip pan and still leaves room on the other side for cooking sides. Since my wife and will more often than not split a piece of meat for dinner, this works out perfectly. I just like the inside of the drip pan with foil and should be good to go.

Speaking of steaks. I think you totally answered a question I had. I'm going to try to "chicken method" (direct, but on a rack) you described soon to help me with my steaks and chops. Every time use a sugar containing rub or a marinade, the meat chars WAY faster on the outside than on the inside. In fact, its been a problem with regular steaks as well. It's almost impossible for me to cook an inch thick steak to med rare without burning the outsides. Hopefully using the roasting rack will help but if you have any other suggestions, I would appreciate them.

I don't have a thermometer on my lid (q100). Can you give my some idea how hot the grill should run on low and high? I know this is a "your mileage may vary" issue but with the heavy cast iron grate always putting a great sear on whatever I cook whether on high or low, it's really hard to get an idea of how hot the grill is running.

Thanks again.

Justin

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justin W:
This is great information, Phil. I wish the trivet was sold here. I don't understand why it would not be. Having said that, I think I found a suitable replacement on amazon. I found a 12 x 7.5 inch roasting rack that seems to fit the bill. I also found a roughly 10 x 6 inch that sits perfectly over and standard weber drip pan and still leaves room on the other side for cooking sides. Since my wife and will more often than not split a piece of meat for dinner, this works out perfectly. I just like the inside of the drip pan with foil and should be good to go.

Speaking of steaks. I think you totally answered a question I had. I'm going to try to "chicken method" (direct, but on a rack) you described soon to help me with my steaks and chops. Every time use a sugar containing rub or a marinade, the meat chars WAY faster on the outside than on the inside. In fact, its been a problem with regular steaks as well. It's almost impossible for me to cook an inch thick steak to med rare without burning the outsides. Hopefully using the roasting rack will help but if you have any other suggestions, I would appreciate them.

I don't have a thermometer on my lid (q100). Can you give my some idea how hot the grill should run on low and high? I know this is a "your mileage may vary" issue but with the heavy cast iron grate always putting a great sear on whatever I cook whether on high or low, it's really hard to get an idea of how hot the grill is running.

Thanks again.

Justin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Justin I think a lot of people try to cook to hot on the Q grills.I have had my Q1OO for just a little while and I do love the Q100.I learned to cook on a similuar grill{an Oylmpian}.I cook mostly chicken,hamburgers and country style ribs {steak style}on the Q100.My method is heat it up on high and then turn it down to 3 or 4 notches from high.I get good grill marks and no flair ups.
I like to cook butts on my sjg mini smoker.
By the way it's just me and the wife on Christmas eve and the menu is CSR ...CHEESE GRITS...FRIED EGGS AND TOAST....a southern thang.

Merry Christmas !!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glen jones:
Want this for my Q100......only $10.99 and free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-64...id=1324759792&sr=8-1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you seen this in real life? I can figure out how big it is. Thx for the link. Also, your Christmas dinner sounds amazing.

I have not seen one,but it might not work on the Q100....13.1LONGX7.3WIDE X3.6DEEP.
http://www.northlineexpress.co...se&utm_term=6WR-6429
I just reread your post and I think you are really trying to cook to hot.
I think only the steak should be cooked on high,and that would be with no sugar rub.Ribs,chicken and etc should be 3to 4 notches down from high and turning regularly.If it burns or flairs up you are cooking to hot or not turning every minute or so.jmho

Back