AUBER CONTROLLER FOR WSM

Dave O'Brien

TVWBB Member
I know that there has been postings for Aubers prior to this new post but I just wanted a dedicated discussion board for AUBER only.

What are your thoughts on them PRO's Vs CON's.....is worth the money..etc etc

I like mine and plan to buy another. I bought the 6.5cfm fan with a BGE adapter. I've used it on my 22.5WSM, big steel keg, and even my Good-one rodeo although the fan was way too small for that one
icon_eek.gif
On the WSM and Keg it works great, easy to set. I'm in the market for a 3 wheeler and plan to use it on that as well. The way the fan "mounts" is very adaptable to different cookers.

Thanks Greg-

Do you use the Maverick et732 as your wireless temp or is the Auber so good that you don't really worry about it, Im gonna be doing comps and just want to make sure that if I get a cat nap the temps aren't gonna swing out of control.....I have thermoworks food temp probes already, and will use those for the butts and brisket.......Just can't grip spending over 700 for the stokers.....haha IM CHEAP

Dave

Originally posted by Dave O'Brien:
Thanks Greg-

Do you use the Maverick et732 as your wireless temp or is the Auber so good that you don't really worry about it, Im gonna be doing comps and just want to make sure that if I get a cat nap the temps aren't gonna swing out of control.....I have thermoworks food temp probes already, and will use those for the butts and brisket.......Just can't grip spending over 700 for the stokers.....haha IM CHEAP

Dave

I only used the Auber probe for my one cook (only plan on using it in the future too). I checked for accuracy with boiling water and will probably do so every 3 or 4 cooks. There are directions on Naked Whiz's website on how to calibrate if it gets outta whack.

Thanks Scott-

Guess to clarify my questions.....I was talking about pit temp...were you happy with its accuracy for internal pit temp.......

Thanks Greg-

Dave
Just the Auber. It has high and low alarms you can set where you want them so you'll know if your temp is out of range. We have a cheap baby monitor we use so we can hear the alarms in the trailer. The only problem is if you lose electric power you'll also lose your alarm ability. But it will run a long time on a battery pack.

Thanks Greg, My wife runs a daycare facility so we have a few baby monitors...lol......I am in the process in buying a Duracell battery pack 600 for my team......

what do you have.

Originally posted by Greg Powers:
I like mine and plan to buy another. I bought the 6.5cfm fan with a BGE adapter. I've used it on my 22.5WSM, big steel keg, and even my Good-one rodeo although the fan was way too small for that one
icon_eek.gif
On the WSM and Keg it works great, easy to set. I'm in the market for a 3 wheeler and plan to use it on that as well. The way the fan "mounts" is very adaptable to different cookers.

I am looking at the Auber because the easy connection between different cookers.

If you buy the larger fan and try it on the Good One Rodeo, let me know how it works. I am hoping a 20 cfm fan can run my Lang. Stoker uses a 25 cfm for the 84/108, but I can't see paying that much for a Stoker.

Thanks JS-

I am using them for 2 22.5 WSM's and 1 18.5.....I contacted the company myself and they told me that the 6.5 is fine as long as i don't plan on cooking over 300..... which is fine with me since my highest temp will be 275. I am just using them for comp cooking.....maybe some low and slow at home.

Hoping the equipment is what most are reviewing it to be, All I can say is that i contacted the company 5 times via email today and each time BAMB within 45 mins I got a very professional response. Customer service is 1000 percent satisfactory!

Thanks Scott-
Guess to clarify my questions.....I was talking about pit temp...were you happy with its accuracy for internal pit temp.......

My only other source for temp is an instant read meat thermometer. I stuck it in the vent once and got 275 at the dome which in my experience puts it right around 250 at thegrate which was my set temp.
I guess I'd have to say it was pretty accurate but I don't have any other way to confirm its accuracy. HTH.

My Auber is accurate and I do not monitor the pit temperature. It does it for me. I set my alarm for +/-20 degrees. Usually the alarm will go off when it is -20 which tells me I need to add some K. I do not remember the last time I check but I think my spread was roughly +/- 3-5 degrees. I would HIGHLY recommend getting the 10CFM fan. I recently started doing HH cooks and the fact is that you cannot tell the difference between the HH & low & slow. If you have never done a HH and you actually do one you will appreciate the time saved. The price difference is not that much. I wish I would have got the 10CFM fan. Just my .02 cents.

Thanks Richard-

I contacted the company yesterday and they stated that for the 22.5 the 6.5 is equiv to a 10 CFM fan and is fine with me, I don't plan on going over 300 degrees with these units and WSM since I will be using them for Comps. if I need to go HH I will just use my grills to cook. The main reasons for my WSM and PID is to do the low and slow. BUT keep the info coming, I really appreciate all the info.

Dave

Ditto on the great customer response from them. I have sent several emails and had responses almost immediately.

My only complaint is that the controller will only run one pit, but I can buy an Auger for each pit for about the same price as a Stoker to control more than one.

Jerry-

Funny you should just post that, I jus sent a message asking the same question to Auber....

I will post their response. I don't plan on doing High Heat cooking over 300... I am doing low and slow nothing over 280 on 22.5...

So stand by, soon as I hear something I will report

Jerry here is my chat with them:

me
Good day, is this sales for auber?
9:29 AM

me
Hi got your email, I've been told by many that I should get the 20CFM for my 22.5 but i don't plan on doing High heat cooks over 300...I contacted the company yesterday and was told that the 6.5 CFM fan is fine even on the 22.5 if i don't plan on cooking over 300....the majority of my cooks will only be highest 285
What is your companies recommendation
10:02 AM

Sales
6.5cfm should be fine. But 20cfm should work well with low and high temp too

me
no problems with ash kicking up, reason i ask is that the larger fan isn't much more and if it's not gonna kick up ash then I will just upgrade to that instead
10:06 AM

Sales
We have tested the 20cfm fan ourselves and we didn't notice that the blower would spread ashes inside the cooker. The 20cfm fan basically has a larger venting hole. But the wind intensity is not necessarily stronger.

me
Ok good to know......Lots of people on the weber virtual bullet website have that question. Maybe you guys should go take a look and respond so people won't be afraid to upgrade to the 20CFM fan.....

Jerry if you have any concerns or questions you can get in touch with Sales at Auber Ms. Suyi Liu in sales who I have been in touch with via email and GOOGLE CHAT...

Suyi is the BEST that Customer Service has to offer. She answers all questions quickly and without hesitation. BEST CS I have see in a whole lot of years for any type of item....She needs a raise!

Yes, I spoke with her yesterday concerning the probe clip. I ordered a different probe (without the clip) so I could pass it thru my tubing. Is the fan variable or just on/off? I was hoping for the prior.

well if it is going to be hooked up to your unit i presume that the blower would work just like the other blower...

I plan on using my in the ON and OFF Mode they gave me precise directions on how to program to that mode as my standard mode.

if you get a chance, take a pic and post so we can see how you hooked that up.

Havent received it yet. I removed the top bolt for the inside rack holder, enlarged the hole to except the 1/8 hollow lamp tube, nut on either side. I have one of these on either side of the access door, just cap the one not in use. I just built the wire shelf cart pictured in the mods section, waiting on my wheels to get here.

So I take it the fan doesn't spin at variable speed.

Back