Thank God for this Website!!!!!

Ron Bullock

TVWBB Fan
I'm sitting here at my desk at work and just finished eating 2 brisket sandwiches from my Friday night Cook!!! It was my 2nd time trying a brisket-Flat on my WSM and can I tell you I was very happy with that cook!!! Wish I had more!! I couldn't have done it without this site!!! Everyone have a good one!!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Ron

A question for you

If I eat brisket the same day that I smoke it, it doesn't taste very smokey (wifey says it tastes smokey) but the next day, its GREAT. Have you noticed that?

Rich,
I've heard (and found) that after being exposed to the smoke during the cook, it kinda deadens your ability to smell the smoke, thereby deadening your sense of taste for the smoke too.
And why the next day you can taste it again.

It's known as "desensitization", and can happen with just about any odor you're exposed to for a prolonged period of time. That's why I always say those plug-in air fresheners are a waste of money.

Now that you mention it, I've observed the same "desensitization" phenomena when I cook. I always notice the smoke the next day.

Hey Rich,
I couldn't agree with you more!!! All my Q' taste better the day after!! I got some Baby-Backs and a Butt that I just finished rubbing down for 2morrow after work..Gonna use some Pecan for smoke!!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Ron

I agree with the taste issues. What I do is shower before pulling the food off of the smoker or right after and that seems to help. I find it odd that after cooking for an extended period of time, I dont seem to be very hungry. Weird.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
I find it odd that after cooking for an extended period of time, I dont seem to be very hungry. Weird. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I used to find it odd too. Then once, when I finished pulling 2 butts, I had enough meat left for a small sandwich. Realized why I wasn't hungry anymore.

I find that taking a break before service, be it 10 minutes or a half-hour shower, makes it all better. There is a freneticism to serving a lot of people that often leads to the host missing the point.

Taking a few minutes for yourself when everything is resting or in a 225 oven is not only a good idea, it's a moral imperative.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron Bullock:
I'm sitting here at my desk at work and just finished eating 2 brisket sandwiches from my Friday night Cook!!! It was my 2nd time trying a brisket-Flat on my WSM and can I tell you I was very happy with that cook!!! Wish I had more!! I couldn't have done it without this site!!! Everyone have a good one!!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Ron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ditto!!!

Back