Roasted garlic mashed potatoes

JimH TX

TVWBB Pro
I know this has been answered before but I spent three days in the hospital and missed Fathers day. I have no problem cooking a three bone rib roast but I want to to coordinate it with roasted garlic mashed potatoes. To accomplish this I'd have to make it at the same time, garlic roasted ahead of time, I remember advice that you can microwave the fininshed potatoes for service but I don't remember the specifics. Any help would be appreciated, my Father deserves a feast. He has always covered my a$$.

Are you asking about timing them so they are done at the same time? If so, you're going to want to let that roast rest for quite a while before carving...right around a half an hour I think. That's just the "cooking time" for Alton Brown's Garlic Mashed Potatoes recipe. I'd suspect it's probably pretty standard that any mashed potato recipe you use will take about a half an hour.

Get the prep done beforehand (including roasting the garlic) and them make the potatoes while the roast rests. Carve the roast while the potatoes rest (5 minutes) and serve.

I want to make them ahead of time and I remember that someone told me that I can reheat them in the microwave without and loss of quality. I just cannot remember who, Jane perhaps?

Not sure. I've never made mashed potatoes for a special meal ahead of time and then reheated them in the microwave for service. I've had them the next day as leftovers like that though (usually to feed a hangover
icon_eek.gif
)...and they were good but not as good as the "fresh" ones the night before. I could have been reheating them wrong though. Maybe someone else can give you specifics on properly reheating in the microwave.

My point is that they are so easy to do and can be cooked while everything else is going on that why not do them right before service? Peel, cube, boil, drain, add fat/dairy/roasted garlic, mash, serve. The peeling, cubing and garlic roasting can all be done ahead of time (while the roast is cooking). The boiling takes 20 minutes with no tending and the mashing takes a minute, tops.

Easy peasy. IMO, and I may be out of line--sorry--make your dad some fresh mashed potatoes to go along with an awesome rib roast.

It's because I have to take them over to my parents house. Just a couple of miles but I don't want to have to dirty Mom's pot for the tatters. I can prep it all before the dinner, let the roast rest during transport but the roasted garlic mashers I'd like to be hot for service. If I make them at home then they get less than hot, I considered using a preheated crockpot on high but I've never tried it and I'm not sure if they would get watery. Mom's not in the best of health and neither is my sister, so it's all on me. I'd hate to ruin the dinner, Dad deserves a feast. Smoked sirloin tip, roasted garlic mashers, corn and freshly made garlic bread. I was too sick to do anything more than give him a card and some chocolates for Father's day and he deserved better. Next up is ribs and smoked BBQ beans for Mom because I was too sick for Mother's day. Sister gets BBQ chicken because I was too sick to do more than buy a card for her birthday. Being sick sucks when you want to do something special for your family. Also, I owe a couple of racks of ribs for the friend that took me to the ER, resulting in my admittance and curing treatment. I told him that besides a special place in the hereafter, he'd earned ribs for life, or pork butt, sirloin tip, standing rib roast, chicken, etc. If I BBQ, he gets a share.

Oh yeah, not sirloin tip but standing rib roast for Dad. I like to do the sirloin tip from time to time because the yield is great and it has that great roast beef flavor. Sea salt and cracked black pepper for both is a great complement to the beefy flavor of both cuts. Simple I know but I'm a beef fanatic and sometimes simple is better. If it wasn't for the flavor of the sear on the outside I might be tempted to eat the sirloin tip raw.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:
Ah, got it.

Sorry to hear about your health issues.

This may help.
http://www.wikihow.com/Reheat-Mashed-Potatoes

Good luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don, thanks I'll use a ceramic dish and foil and reheat in the oven. I can even stick the garlic bread in at the same time!

All better now, I had a staph infection in January but didn't show the Doc all of the cuts, just the one that was acting funny. Other one didn't look as bad so I left it alone. 3 days in the hospital and a lecture from my Dermatologist taught me a valuable but expensive lesson. I did not know staph could make you so sick.

Back