Weber S330 vs S420

Steve Carr

Hi,

I'm deciding between then S330 and the S420. Other than the obvious differences (a little bigger, larger SS grates, easier opening lid, 4 burners vs 3+sear burner etc...) I heard that the 420 had some heat loss issues due to the lid design and air escapes making it difficult to maintain the heat. Does anyone know if this problem has been resolved. Another $600 for the S420 does not seem worth it especially if it has this problem. Thanks...

Hello Steve,

I was in the same dilemma. Ended up getting the S420 for more grill space. I did not encounter any heat loss grilling in 28deg/ 20mph winds weather. Held steady at 400deg and actually climbed over 500deg until I lowered the two center burners to medium. Fyi..EastCoastTV has some nice deals on weber grills at the moment.

I've got the 330 and it is awesome. The sear burner is basically a 4th burner. I've had the grill up to 650 on the lid thermometer. Not sure is the 420 would be worth the extra $ to me personally.

Hi Steve,

My daughter and I had the same quandary last year. We were both looking for an all stainless steel, Weber propane grill, with a side burner. It came down to the S330 vs the S420.

I spent a bit time looking and comparing.

The total cooking area of the S420 is only 13 square inches larger than the S330, and the main grate area is only 31 square inches larger.

The "Sear Station" on the S330 is a actually a 4th burner. They space 3 burner tubes close to each other on the left side, and the 4th tube wider spaced to the right. The S420 has the 4 burner tubes evenly spaced.

They both have a 12,000 BTU side burner. The total BTU rating on both grills is 60,000 BTU.

The S420 comes with an LED handle light and and LED tank scale. The S330 has a spring tank scale.

The S420 looks much nicer then the S330.

The S420 is about $550 more than the S330.

I bought the S330 (and a $20 handle light) because performance wise, both grills are the same. I could not see spending another $550 or so, only for looks.

My daughter bought the S420 because it looks much better then the S330.

I've grilled on both over the past year, and they are both great.

Good luck.

Bob

Thanks to all for your responses.

I went with the 330 and I'm happy with it. Only grilled on it once but it did a great job. I too had a hard time spending the extra $550-$600 for the 420.
Now I need a grill light...is the Weber handle light a good one? The reviews I read stated it was more of a gimmick than anything. Is it strong enough to see the food or do you need two like the 420 has?

Thanks,
Steve

Most people who have the Weber Grill light go with two of them to get prefered lighting, with that said start with one and if not enough add a second. Personally I went with a generic grand for a 1/4 of the price which is just ok, could uses a second one.

Back