The Minion method

Status
Not open for further replies.
My very first smoke in the WSM was a chicken fueled with lumps and minion method. It worked well for me. I now use briquettes because it's easier to manage. Lumps burn higher, I find, and won't last as long as briquettes. Another disadvantage is when you're 2/3 into the bag all you're left with are charcoal chips, the bigger lumps are all gone. But they smell very good though.

'Afternoon CP:
I was paying a small fortune having maple charwood shipped in from Rhode Island under the theory that the flavor of my product would be more greatly enhanced than just using briquettes. After heat fluctuation problems and more constant tending than usual I finally resorted to the Minion Method but still insisting on the use of charwood. Here's the stage of this reply where I have to say 'amen' to Ron's comments! The mental bridge I had to cross was understanding that the fuel part of the process should be the least expensive but most efficient part and that the flavor part (the majority anyway) comes from your rubs, marinades, etc and from the type of wood chunks used. I'm now a true Minion Method, Kingsford convert, I have many more dollars in my pockets to spend on meats and beer and I no longer have the nagging temp or tending problems; try it for yourself and see if you agree.
?.John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back