Weber ranch kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray W

Anyone own a ranch kettle? Would like one but don't know if it would take too much charcoal for just a couple of burgers during the week.

My understanding Ray is that the Ranch can efficiently cook a couple of burgers just as well as it can cook 60. Just bank fewer coals to the side and cook directly over that.

It uses the same amount of fuel as the smaller ones. When I do burgers I just fill one chimney up get it all lit, then bank it to the side. If I'm cooking for more then 4 I use two chimneys. I absolutely love the cooking space and don't know how I cooked on anything smaller before. The only drawback is the grates are huge and maybe I just haven't figured out the secret but they are a b&!ch to clean.

Thanks for the info, might get one if I can convince the wife. The 26.75 is also probably worth a look I guess.

Thanks, I would like something bigger than the 22.5 but there are more accessories for the 22.5!

Who needs accessories when you will be the envy of every guy in the neighborhood. Lol next time you go to your friends house you can tell them that their 22.5 is cute and your little sister has one. Just kidding but he is right there are not any accessories for it and even finding a cover was a pain. I ended up buying a patio table cover.

i think 2 22s is ideal. Have you thought about that?
icon_rolleyes.gif

Like Corey, I have two 22s a kettle and a performer. I usually cook on the kettle and when I need more space I fire up the performer.

I keep looking for a 26" preferably a redhead.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I would like something bigger than the 22.5 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>if a Rancher is too big, look at a 26.5" kettle.
I have an older one and it holds a hogsworth of food!

I like the quote from Nat King Cole, maybe the 26.75 is the best fit. I think I can find a smokenator and a kettle pizza for it but so far no rotisserie ! Thanks for the help!

Ray, I just got the 26 , wanted plenty of room which it has. If I had the money and a spot for it though, the Ranch would be sitting out behind the house...but the 26 wil be lots of fun too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Massaro:
Ray, I just got the 26 , wanted plenty of room which it has. If I had the money and a spot for it though, the Ranch would be sitting out behind the house...but the 26 wil be lots of fun too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also have the 26er and love it. I'd pull the trigger on the Ranch Kettle in a heartbeat if it were priced lower. Imagine all of the tasty treats you can cook.

Marc, I'm kinda leaning towards the 26.75, only downside is no rotisserie yet if ever. I would like to see a Ranch on display but nobody stocks them.

I find the 22.5 kettle is plenty. On the rare occasion that I'm grilling for a crowd, I can also use my OTHER 22.5 kettle.

When I got my Ranch I was excited that now I would have enough room to cook. There were so many times that I would run out of room in the past, frustration was a common issue. Although, looking back there are a few things to consider.

I love my Ranch, but would I buy one again? Tough call but come on, its a Ranch Kettle. You can do anything in a Ranch that you can do in any other grill, plus, in the Ranch you cook over a real wood fire if desired. Now onto practicality. It is big. The stock 22" grate is dwarfed by the Ranch's grate. I was able to do three racks of Baby Backs and that only took up half the grill. Although I havent done any low n slow cooks, Im guessing its a lot easier just because of its larger size and better vent set up (three individual vents like the old 22"). A recent "family reunion" I used it to cook for 18. 20 burgers 24 brats and 10 hotdogs.

Now, after living with it for a few years, I have some different thoughts. If I had to do it all over again. What would I do differently. I think I would go for the 26" and a Performer (preferably one with the stainless top. Provided picking up the Performer used, this option will cost less than half a Ranch Kettle(retail). Also, the Ranch doesnt have a cover, big negative for me. I have premium covers on all my grills. I like the look and the protection. Ive thought about having one made, but I just havent gotten that far yet. Flexibility would be the other reason. The food that I typically cook, results if different setups. When I do potatoes I dice'em up in 1x1 cubes and wrap in foil packages and do direct. When the family is over, I can fill a 22" with just potatoes. Since the amount of food you cook depends on the amount of coal used, weather Im using the Ranch or three other grills, the usuage is the same. I do have a side table on my 22" but thats not enough. The Performer would add the extra bit of space when doing larger cooks.

Ultimately only you can decide if its right for you. And not seeing one in person before buying can be pretty scary. I too didnt see one before I bought it. While putting it together there was a constant smile on my face just because of the size. If your not hurting or scraping for money, Id say go with the Ranch especially if you can get a good deal. I think I got mine for $800 new on Amazon. Here are some pics:

12 brats 7 burgers and 4 brat patties

IMG_0881.jpg

16 Thighs and 7 BS breast

ac01e1f6.png

Ranch Kettle Grate vs 22" Grate

DSC01756.jpg

22" grate in Ranch Kettle ash pan

DSC01750.jpg

I'm going to back John up a little here. I love my ranch kettle. I picked it up for $400 on Craigs List and get a lot of use out of it. Having said that I only use it for parties and catering, both of which I do a lot of.....If I didn't I would hardly use it. For home use and anything up to 6 people I use my 22 and if needed a second 22 or the Smokey Joe Platinum. I never fire up the ranch.

Having said that here's a few pics showing the capacity of the beast!

It makes a nice pizza oven!

SNB18028.jpg

SNB18033.jpg

And can cook a lot at once!

SNB18015.jpg

HPIM0786.jpg

HPIM0771.jpg

1831.jpg

1817.jpg

And not the best way to transport it.....
IMG00257-20090803-1250.jpg

Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back