Select Brisket using Low/Slow and High Heat Hybrid Method

Andy Erickson

TVWBB Pro
I'm planning on cooking two Butts on the top rack and a Select Brisket on the bottom rack this weekend. I've heard that using a high heat method for Select Brisket is the best choice, but since I want to do them at the same time a high heat brisket is out of the question.

So I plan to do the meat low and slow until the brisket hits about 180 and then foil and put back on the smoker until it hits 200 or fork tender then rest in a cooler for 2 hours in foil. I'm thinking this will give me about 2 to 3 hours in foil on the smoker and that won't be enough time for it to turn into pot roast. Unless somebody else has a better idea.

I did a Select Brisket 3 weeks ago and it turned it good to great. The flat under the point was very moist and tender, but the flat that wasn't under the point was just tender and dry. The point was awesome.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Erickson:
I'm planning on cooking two Butts on the top rack and a Select Brisket on the bottom rack this weekend. I've heard that using a high heat method for Select Brisket is the best choice, but since I want to do them at the same time a high heat brisket is out of the question.

So I plan to do the meat low and slow until the brisket hits about 180 and then foil and put back on the smoker until it hits 200 or fork tender then rest in a cooler for 2 hours in foil. I'm thinking this will give me about 2 to 3 hours in foil on the smoker and that won't be enough time for it to turn into pot roast. Unless somebody else has a better idea.

I did a Select Brisket 3 weeks ago and it turned it good to great. The flat under the point was very moist and tender, but the flat that wasn't under the point was just tender and dry. The point was awesome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I cook select briskets the same as I do regular choice briskets, in the 245-260º range.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've heard that using a high heat method for Select Brisket is the best choice </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
that's a matter of opinion

once you foil your brisket it can go in the oven for easier checking (smoke can't get at it through the foil) and peeking to check won't disturb your butts

you could take it out of foil and in the oven, on the smoker or indirect if you have a large grill for a bit to firm up the bark if that's a concern

I suppose if it's overcooked to start with the residual energy and a long foil rest wouldn't help any, that'd be your call when you're ready to stick it in the cooler.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Erickson:
So I plan to do the meat low and slow until the brisket hits about 180 and then foil and put back on the smoker until it hits 200 or fork tender then rest in a cooler for 2 hours in foil. I'm thinking this will give me about 2 to 3 hours in foil on the smoker and that won't be enough time for it to turn into pot roast. Unless somebody else has a better idea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'd foil sooner than 180º if it were me. Once foiled, internal temps are irrelevant because you could hit an internal temp of 200º in a half hour once foiled. The brisket is done when tender, not at X internal temp. Yeah many here are prob tired of me saying this... You want to cook till just shy of tender if you are going to hold the brisket for any lenght of time, over an hr. If you plan to slice and serve right after removing from the WSM, then just rest the brisket for a 1/2 hr., you'll want to cook till just barely tender. i.e. a fork or probe goes in almost like you're probing a stick of room temp butter.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd foil sooner than 180º if it were me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Me too. 10-15? lower.

OK. Thanks guys. Will foil at about 165 and then put in the oven so that I don't have to mess with opening the smoker anymore than I have to with the butts in there. Was thinking about finishing it in the oven at 300. Is that hot enough?

Yes. But you can go hotter or cooler depending on timing, i.e., depending on how fast or slow you'd like it to finish.

Back