Taking Apart a Performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricDevlin

TVWBB Member
Hi,

I recently got an older performer off of Craigslist and I was wondering how difficult it is to disassemble and then put back together.

I'd like to take it to comps, but space is a premium.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Eric

Its a piece of cake! Maybe the hardest part is if you have to replace the one touch system. Sometimes taking the electrode out of the burner tube can be tough too. Use a penetrating agent on any questionable screws or nuts as to avoid stripping any of them.

If you are taking it apart just to take to competitions because of lack of vehicle space, well, that might not be worth your time.
Good luck!

Are you wanting it to be portable for the table or the Gas assist?
While its not hard to take apart, It's not worth the time. If its the gas assist you want, you could just throw some legs under the bowl, sans the side table it and call it done. Then just get yourself a folding table. Then yo would have what you need and then some.. Make sense?

I tried to take apart mine and I thought it was very difficult. The ignition wires were perminantly connected and they didn't have any quick disconnects. You would have to cut the ignition wires to remove the ignitor itself. I wanted to try to mount the whole grill and ignitor in a different table and I don't think I could have without major surgery,

Brian

Originally posted by Brian O'Neal:
I tried to take apart mine and I thought it was very difficult. The ignition wires were perminantly connected and they didn't have any quick disconnects. You would have to cut the ignition wires to remove the ignitor itself. I wanted to try to mount the whole grill and ignitor in a different table and I don't think I could have without major surgery,

Brian

All the performers I have taken apart, new and old styles...have the quick disconnect on the ignition wires. Some need to be tugged on harder than others, but in no way should you ever have to cut them to take them apart. Both wires that go to the ignition button have quick connect snap on fittings. The end of the wire that goes into the burner tube is held on by a small screw that is often very hard to remove due to rust and or grease. A little WD-40 and the right screw driver and it'll come right out.

Well, I picked up a one touch platinum on Craigslist the other day.

How much easier is that to take apart and reassemble (for the purpose of bringing to comps)?

Thanks!

Eric

I'll look again, I think I'm just going to leave my performer alone for now, unless I find a blue platinum, then I'll have to perform some surgery,

Brian

Brian,

If you're looking to replace the bowl on the performer with one from a platinum you may have problem with drilling the hole where the burner goes as it is at an angle of the bowl. Your best bet is to find another performer.

taking apart the performer isn't too bad, 7/16 attached to a impact driver will make dismantle in a few minutes. I left my bowl intact with burner and hose connected but taking it apart need only take the orifice clip that hold the hose to the burner tube.

Vincent.

I am getting a blue bowl from Troy and I'm not using it in my performer. I'm just going to plug the hole, However If I can get a blue platinum I will swap the blue performer from Troy into my black performer. I know this sounds goofy but I have a plan. It will all work out if I can get a blue platinum.

Brian

Brian said, " am getting a blue bowl from Troy and I'm not using it in my performer. I'm just going to plug the hole, However If I can get a blue platinum I will swap the blue performer from Troy into my black performer. I know this sounds goofy but I have a plan. It will all work out if I can get a blue platinum.
"

Huh? Whats the reasin or reasoning?

Brian,

If you plug the hole on the bowl of a performer, aren't you making it into a platinum? You using the burner as a side attach to something?

One other option is a master touch if you don't need the hole in the bowl and cart,

Vincent.

You guys are so nosey.....
icon_smile.gif
Okay here's what I'm up to......in the spring I'm going to replace both these black grills with blue ones. I want the factory welded on brackets from Weber. So I needed either a platinum or a performer, either would work. I have right now a blue platinum, and Troy's performer. They will work right now. However, If I come across another blue platinum, then I would swap Troy's performer into my performer, then I would have three blue grills. If I don't come across another blue platinum, then I'll leave my performer alone and just have the two blue in the table....capiche?

dsc05794c.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-10-29

Brian

Brian,

Nice table, care to tell me how you did it? what's the bottom shelf made of?

ok, got it as to why you need a performer or a platinum. Nosey, another name for curiosity.
icon_wink.gif

Vincent.

I'm just giving you guys a hard time about being nosey, I was laughing the whole time. You know I'm not serious Vincent. I'll tell you anything you want to know. The bottom shelf is made of cement backerboard covered with that mat made to go on your deck under a grill so it doesn't get burned. I just cut it with a circular saw to fit. It works great and wont get burned or anything like that. I want to stain the wood blue and get the blue one touch grills in there so it will make the cleaning easy, and I think it will look pretty sweet

Brian

Brian,

Wasn't worry, I know you weren't serious. The material you use are very interesting, gives me some ideas what to use for my bench type to make my grill more permanent. You did this yourself? looks very good. What are you using as the base for your tiles? are they over a backer board also?

I've check last night on the price for shipping it may be cost prohibited. I was using amazon weight of 32 lbs dimension and it came to be about $50.

Vincent.

Table top is green treated with cement backerboard over that. Then covered with tiles. I wanted glossy tiles so they would clean up easy.

Brian

Brian,
I'm working on a deal to get you a Blue Platinum.. It may need some work, but I know you will want it..
AJ

How the heck am I gonna get it from you, you really are 1500 miles and 3 days from here? Let me guess you saw some old platinum on the side of the road and it was full of weeds.

Brian

You know we have the pony express out here. You just need to provide a stall and some hay for the riders horse. And maybe hammokc for the rider.
I don't have it yet, so don't get too excited.
You know how unreliable I can be!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back