Pork shoulder picnic question.

A whole pork shoulder is typically cut into two roasts-- the butt and the picnic. Butts are often cut in half to yield even smaller roasts in the 3-4 lb. range. Picnics are typically cheaper than butts, per pound, but the yield is somewhat less, due to the larger upper leg bone contained therein, and a large fat cap. Picnics also typically come skin-on on the fat cap side, and barbecuers usually remove it and the fat cap to maximize surface area for rub and smoke. The muscles in the picnic differ from those in a butt, and lead some to characterize finished picnic meat as "drier" than that of the butt, probably to do with less intramuscular fat.

Yes, they are perfectly good. Cooking them is the same. Just trim that skin off. As for taste/dryness, easiest thing to do is cook one side-by-side with a butt and decide for yourself.

after about 6 pork butt cooks - i finally did a picnic smoke this past weekend.

and I have to be honest, I was a little disappointed. The meat came out a bit dry in some places - not exactly falling off the bone. And I did notice more muscle-type of consistency in the meat itself.

As for the dryness factor, I was busy that day while cooking I didn't really babysit the WSM as much as I usually do while just hanging out in the backyard - so I didn't make a baste that I usually do. But on the other hand, I'm not sure if the baste would have helped in this case.

With that said, no one went home hungry! It was well worth the experience for myself...but I'll be sticking to the Butts moving forward.

Just my 2 cents.

But just like brian said - try both at the same time and decide for yourself!!
icon_biggrin.gif

I cook my picnic at 325. Skin on, 185 internal.
A 7 pounder usually takes about 5 to 6 hours. I think picnics are better at a slicing stage than a pulling range.

Back