Brining Pork Loins... soak in plain water after brining?

Hans Lain

TVWBB Member
I'd read somewhere that folks that brine turkeys will soak them in water after they brine for a bit to get rid of some of the salt.

Do folks do this with pork loins?

I have two, 2 lb loins in the fridge that I'll be cookin up in a few days. Planning on soaking for 5 hours using the following for the brine that someone posted here on TVWB:

3/4 C Kosher salt
6 Tbsp sugar
3 Qt water

Gonna stuff one with some herbs and sharp cheddar and then wrap with bacon. Stuffing the other with dried apricots and apricot marmalade and then basting with some kinda fruit juice.

somegeek

Soaking in water is only possibly necessary after curing, not after ordinary brining. Neither pork nor turkey should be soaked after brining. Rinsing in cold water then drying is fine. If the result ends up saltier than you'd like then cut the salt amount on your next attempt.

The recipe you quote is standard though note that some might use 1/4 c Diamond Crystal kosher per quart of water but 3 tablespoons Morton if they had that.

One more quick question, would there be any advantage to brining this overnight vs 5 hours?

I don't fully understand what the salt does to the meat or if it'd absorb more and ruin the flavor by making the meat too salty.

Appreciate any input.

Note that the suggestion of an hour per pound might work but it is not carved in stone. It depends on the type of meat, fowl, fish or seafood, its thickness, and whether the item has a skin (skin-on fresh hams, intact fowl); various combinations of factors can affect timing. Also, flavor brining often requires more time for some of the flavor elements to fully permeate the product.

If you are new to brining it is worth making a mental or written note of what you do (strength, i.e., salt concentration of the brine, straight brine or flavored, type of meat, weight and thickness, and time brined) and note your impressions of the result. Over time and with brining different items you'll get a good sense of various brines and their affects on various products and you'll be better able to gauge timing and strength of different brines and different products.

Back