Rehabbing a '05 Genesis Silver A for my dad

Kyle in Woodstock

TVWBB Guru
Drove into work today and this grill was sitting in the back of our delivery truck at Ace. Apparently the customer decided it was time for an upgrade and had us haul this one off for him.

It's in pretty dang good shape so I thought I would clean it up and give it to my dad for Father's Day. Right now he is working with a 7 year old CharBroil ***BARF***

I looked up the Serial # and found out it is a 2005 Genesis Silver A. The flavor bars and grates are in decent shape, but the bottom tray / drip pan is starting to rust out in the middle. And the hood is starting to flake paint near the thermometer. Everything else looks pretty good. I am going to clean the igniter connectors b/c I had to push the button about 10 times before it would fire up.

Here is a picture of the grill:
IMG_20110612_185510.jpg

Flavor Bars
IMG_20110612_193509.jpg

Burner tubes in action:
IMG_20110612_193740.jpg

Here is where the hood is starting to peel/flake. I'm not not sure that this is actually paint. I am going to hit it hard with some oven cleaner and a scrub brush to see how much flakes off:
IMG_20110612_193938.jpg

And here is where the bottom drip pan/tray is starting to rust. Not much i can do here except reinforce the smaller drip pan unit that attaches to this one.
IMG_20110612_194209.jpg

This one really isn't going to take much work. I am getting pretty lucky with my Weber finds lately.

Let me know what you guys think about the flaking on the hood.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KTBass:

Here is where the hood is starting to peel/flake. I'm not not sure that this is actually paint. I am going to hit it hard with some oven cleaner and a scrub brush to see how much flakes off:
IMG_20110612_193938.jpg

Let me know what you guys think about the flaking on the hood. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like smoke deposits that sometimes flake off. Normal maintenance is to brush it off with something that won't scratch the paint to keep it from falling into your food while cooking. I would use a brass brush.

Oven cleaner should work too but I would be cautious about getting it on the end pieces because I think something that strong could corrode the metal. I don't think it will harm the porcelain. (But IMO is more than you really need to do about this.)

I used WD-40 to clean up my Silver A and then hit the inside with Dawn to remove that. I just wiped down the outside and it looks fine. It didn't get off every last little bit of crud, but it's going to build up again anyway. Since this is going to be a gift, you probably want to try a little harder. However, if you get the outside nice and shiny, I think your dad will be happy.

Other things to think about...

The flavorizer bars won't last forever. A nice set of stainless ones will. Likewise with the grate. However, I've got a cast iron grate that I had laying around which fits mine and I have no plans to replace it. I'm not sure how the grates wear out as I've only seen problems with the plated steel ones (like the warming grate.)

The igniter shows up on Amazon for about $11. IIRC the warming grate is about $14. Perhaps you can get these for even less where you work. Some of this depends on your budget too. You could always get accessories and consumables like flavorizer bars for his birthday, Christmas and so on.

Like Walter said, that hood issue is not peeling paint. I'm 100% certain.

Here is a post directly from Weber's FAQ page explaining what is going on and what to do. Hope this helps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I see what I think is peeling paint inside the lid of my grill! What should I do?

Don’t worry, it’s not paint. The inside surfaces of our grill lids are not painted, they are coated with baked-on porcelain enamel which cannot peel. What you are noticing is a deposit of grease and smoke that collects during normal use. During use, the grease and smoke vapors slowly oxidize into carbon and collect on the inside of your lid. This deposit will eventually peel, and looks very similar to paint. The peeling normally starts in the center of the lid and spreads outward. It may come off in sheets or flakes, and is shiny on one side and dull on the other. These carbon deposits are non-toxic. But you might want to regularly remove the build-up. Fortunately, the peeling is easy to remove. Simply brush off all loose particles with a brass brush before you start grilling. To prevent future build-up, after every grilling session, while the grill lid is warm—not hot—wipe it with paper towels or a mild soap-and-water solution.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You said that the flavorizer bars are in "decent shape"

From the pics - they seem about 80% used up.
This will minimize flare-ups / grease fires inside the grill. If I were you, I would replace these with Stainless from one of the Internet sources. If you decide to re-use them, then "shuffle" them around so that the one(s) with holes ARE NOT over the burners.

Otherwise, it looks like a nice little Silver that has seen a lot of use, but pretty well cared-for.

My buddy picked up one of these a little while ago for $15. He got the burners replaced under the warranty(10 yr warranty on burners). Check out his posting. He used tons of oven cleaner and it turned out great.

Back