Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redneck Sushi

TVWBB Guru
    This is the way to properly prepare a bacon-weave wrapped fattie.

My recipe was posted at TVWBB a couple weeks before the Bacon Explosion debuted. This method for making a bacon wrapped fattie is still the best. It avoids the need to overcook the fattie in an attempt to cook the bacon.

Trying to cook the bacon at smoker temperatures is a futile endeavor. Higher heat than can be achieved in a smoking pit is needed to crisp the outer layer, and the inner layer of bacon will never cook because it never gets much above the internal temperature of the fattie.

The key to properly cooked bacon is to precook the bacon weave. This also reduces the time needed in the smoker to what is needed to cook the sausage, resulting in a moister product. A higher pit temperature of 275 to 300 is recommended to keep the bacon from getting soggy.

Ingredients
    1 Pound Bacon
    1 Pound fresh sausage or other ground meat
    1/4 to 1/2 pound grated cheese
    Diced Chiles
    Optional - anything else you can think of

Method
    Preheat oven to 400F. Weave the bacon into a 9 x 11 inch lattice. Place the bacon on a rack on a jelly roll pan and bake until cooked, but still pliable. This will take 15 to 25 minutes depending on thickness of bacon.

On a piece of foil or wax paper, press sausage flat to approximately 9 x 11. Layer the cheese completely over sausage and sprinkle with chiles and other optional ingredients. Carefully roll the sausage, doing your best to achieve a spiral effect with the cheese and fillings. Wrap the precooked bacon weave around the sausage fattie using toothpicks to hold the bacon in place if needed.

Cook the fattie over your favorite smoke wood at 275 to 300 for 45 to 60 minutes, to an internal temperature of 160F.

This is the fabulous Bacon Cheeseburger Redneck Sushi.

That looks good. I've been wanting to try a bacon explosion, but wasn't sure about putting BBQ sauce with it. I was also worried about the bacon weave being undercooked. I'll probably try your method, without cheese or other ingredients. Just sausage and bacon.
    14.5" WSM, 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, 18.5" OTS, 22.5" OTG, SJS, Spirit E-210

TVWBB All-Star
    Thanks for the clarification on the bacon wrapped redneck fattie sushi explosion I was hesitant to try it myself after all the failures I've seen. It makes since to pre cook the bacon weave a bit. I just might have to give this a shot after all! That bacon cheeseburger redneck sushi is making my mouth water atm. In the third picture down there is an obvious change in meat, is it half beef half pork??

TVWBB Guru
    Brandon,

I was going for a much lower fat version than my first bacon wrapped fattie. I used ground sirloin on the left and ground turkey on the right. My daughter won't eat beef or pork (except for bacon) so I went with the two meats.

Jim

TVWBB All-Star
    What did you think of the ground turkey portion? How about ground ribeye

TVWBB Guru
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
    What did you think of the ground turkey portion? How about ground ribeye </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    My family and neighbors loved them both, especially the turkey. I preferred the beef, but that's just me. I've always liked beef more than poultry.

We served these as sliders. I didn't have mini-burger buns so I cut up brat buns. They would be better with burger buns or dinner rolls.

how about throwing the fatty on a gasser at a high temp to crisp the bacon, then complete cook on the smoker
    Fly Eagles Fly!

TVWBB Guru
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan J:
    how about throwing the fatty on a gasser at a high temp to crisp the bacon, then complete cook on the smoker </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    It won't make a difference. The inner layer of bacon will still not cook.

Think of it as frying two slices of bacon layered together. If you do not flip the bacon, the slice on top will never get cooked. Same thing here.

TVWBB Platinum Member j biesinger's Avatar
    Thanks for the recipe contribution. I like your protocol, you actually made a workable recipe rather some piece of internet hyperbole.

since the bacon explosion post, I've subscribed to the bbq attics blog and I have not been impressed with what they chose to do with the increased traffic they generated. not sure what their blog was like before, but now they just shill products made by their friends.
    j biesinger
    nickel city smokers

TVWBB Fan
    Thanks for adding reality to this recipe...
    WSM 22.5 Traeger Texan Char Broil "RED" Infra Red Gasser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast