Sandblasted firebox....

Jerry J.

I'm restoring/rebuilding an old Spirit 500. The firebox has been sandblasted. My question is...are there any special things I need to know or do before I paint? I intend to use either Krylon or Rustoleum black grill spray paint for the outside. Should I use any base coat or primer? I know not to paint the inside of course but should I "season" it with something or even do anything at all before I use it? Never tried a rebuild before so this is all new to me. Thanks for any help or advice you can provide.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry J.:
I know not to paint the inside of course but should I "season" it with something or even do anything at all before I use it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would just use a good stiff brush and soap and water. If you're up for it, take it to a car wash and pressure wash it. Then I would just get the grill good and hot before I cook on it the first time. Just to burn off anything. Probably don't need to do the high heat burn off but you're going to want to do that anyway to test the grill.

As for painting - sorry I can't help. I'm assuming the base is cast aluminum and the top is some form of steel. I'd ask a local place that supplies auto paint and see what they say.

I've never rebuilt a grill,but I don't think I'd use a regular primer on a grill. I'd see if I could find a high heat primer,or go with no primer. Hope this helps.

Back