Replacing grill straps for adding a 3rd grate

JSMcdowell

TVWBB All-Star
After seeing Glenn's third grate on his 22", I knew it would be one of the first things I did. After a wonderful birthday surprise, a 22" WSM, I stopped by my BIL's family metal shop. I had them make 4 new straps based off the current ones, just with 3 inches more between the top rack and bottom rack. I plan on adding grate supports in the middle. The grate shown below is currently sitting on the bottom screws that were right above the original bottom grate. This leaves about 4.25 inches in between the middle & bottom. I would like a little more as I am planning on using this setup for butts (Would like to comfortably fit 12x 10lbs). I am using the standard top grate for my middle grate. They are easier to find and the supports will allow me to easily get the bottom grate by.

grillstrap3.jpg

grillstrap1.jpg

grillstrap2.jpg

Weber should have made this thing with 3 grates in the first place. I highly recommend doing this modification. Not sure what the costs would be for the grill straps since I got them for free. I have a couple dollars in SS bolts and would have had $20 in a grate, but got an SS one as a gift so it went on the performer and the performer grate is now the top grate for the 22”. I think having the flip up access could be a benefit at some point.

The first pic is with the SS grate on there, the one I moved over was still dirty.

grillstrap4.jpg

grillstrap5.jpg

grillstrap6.jpg

Since I had the drill out and the 22 was still clean, I went ahead and added my probe holes using the lamp kit method.

grillstrap7.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.

While at Lowe's Sunday looking for some angle iron for a kegerator project, I noticed they sell flat metal rod that would work just fine for this. Might be an alternative to someone if you don't have a family member in the metal shop.

After a lot of cooking time, the thinner SS metal started to bend. Not at the cooking grates (they are still fine), but the not supported area that holds the water pan. With a clay saucer and grease from 120 lbs of pork, it dropped on me. Not fun. Since then I have balled up foil and shoved it in there for support. This weekend I am having new supports made that go back to the wall after the water pan part to give it support.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Dumb question...how do you slide the top grate down beyond the top grate tabs on the straps to use as a center grate?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris,
I bought CIGS for my kettle, which left me with an excess hinged 22.5 cooking grate. I use it for the middle rack on my 22.5 WSM. To awnser your question, you have to angle it to get it in there, sort of a snug fit. Unless you do some kind of elaborate work-around, you have to unload the meat off the 2nd rack to access the third.

Dennis

The reason I had it come back 2" instead of 1 3/4" is to give it more strength w/ the angle. I used SS and it was flexible, so this really helps.

Also, you don't really have to worry about having the angle exact or prebent, when you install it on the middle section, it will bend it.

Got it thanks. Your drawing was exactly what I was picturing in my head after reading your description. Plenty of great designs were originally scribbled on a napkin
icon_smile.gif

Josh,
I like the mod so much that I'm going to my brother-in-law's shop to fabricate one for myself, but am going to extend it 2 more inches to give a little more room between the racks. One question- do you have any issues with the bottom rack getting too hot/too much radiant heat because it is closer to the fire?

Thanks!

Andy

-Valdosta, GA

After a lot of cooking time, the thinner SS metal started to bend. Not at the cooking grates (they are still fine), but the 'not supported' area that holds the water pan. With a clay saucer and grease from 120 lbs of pork, it dropped on me. Not fun. Since then I have balled up foil and shoved it in there for support. This weekend I am having new supports made that go back to the wall after the water pan part to give it support.

Let the laughter begin at my drawings skills, or lack thereof.

22WSMBracketRevised.jpg

THIS was the thread that got me thinking after I assembled my new WSM.
The 'not supported' section, to me, is the weak link even with the stock straps.
Very much along your line of thinking for adding support back to the wall, I simply added 2" stainless steel machine screws.

WeberSmokeyMountain018.jpg

Back