Storker/Linksys Birdge Help

Tim Barbee

Hi All,

I know that this probably has been covered more than enough in here but I am new and need some help.
My Stoker is on a truck now headed for my house, and I have a Linksys WET610N wireless bridge, the model of Linksys many of you were using has been discontinued so this is the one they have now. I want to set it up so my laptop communicates directly with the Stoker thru the bridge without using my home wireless network. I’ll be using this set-up for comp’s and home cooking.
I am not a tech geek but I am fairly computer literate so don’t get too technical with the answers. “Plug in to wall” for a start will be just fine.

Hi Tim, congrats on the coming Stoker -- you'll love it.

But it sounds like you are going to try to connect from your laptop to the wireless bridge. I know enough to be dangerous but I have successfully set up a wireless router then moved to a wireless bridge.

But from my experience, a wireless bridge will only connect to your home network -- which you will then connect to your home network with your laptop and that will give you access to the wireless bridge.

If you want to connect wirelessly directly to the laptop, you'll need a wireless router to be an "access point".

Using a wireless bridge connecting to your home network is actually the best set up. That allows you to then have Stokerlog set to send yourself text messages with the probe temps (this is great while you are on the golf course while ribs are cooking).

What about a wireless setup for comp cooking when I'm cooking away from home. That's what I'm looking for, and whay I talked about not going through my at home network. Or should I just use it wireless with the network at home, and just have a longer cat-5 cable for comp cooking. In a comp I really would only need a 20ft or so cable,, but at home with the computer in my house I would be 50-60ft away from my cooker.

I use a wireless router at comps and that's I used to use at home (till I got the wireless bridge).

My wife is my teammate for our comp team. We now have a travel trailer we use at comps (after the first time I made her stay in the tent with me at comp). So I keep the laptop in the trailer and then connect to the wireless router.

But if you can get by with just running an ethernet cable, that would work also.

Since I just ordered my Stoker yesterday, and am probably many days from recieving, it sounds like it's a Wireless bridge I need to order to connect the Stoker to my Wireless network? Is there a model that is popular and known to work with the Stoker?

I don't think the issue is whether the wireless bridge will work with the Stoker (any of them will). I think the issue is how easy is it to connect the wireless bridge to your current network. If you stay with equipment from the same company, connection is much easier.

Here is the one I picked up and I use. http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=346

Back