Silver A

Dave F

I've had my eye on A Weber grill for a long time. My neighbor just gave me his old Silver A. It's about 6 yrs old, but he kept it covered and it's in good shape. It needs flavor bars, cooking grates, burners and a little clean up. Does anyone know if it makes sense to rebuild these? Do they hold up well over time?

Thanks,
-Dave

Sure! Why not? It'll certainly cost less to rebuild than to buy. Get the flavor bars, but don't immediately rush to buy new burners - see if the old ones will continue to be serviceable by cleaning the holes - they tend to get clogged - and firing it up. Cleaning is usually just the application of a good de-greaser (Greased Lightning, for example) and some elbow grease.

Great acquisition!

Pat

Agree with Pat whole heartedly. Even if you replace burners, flavor bars, and grates, total out of pocket would be less then $150.

Where are you going to get a better gasser for only $150 ?

I just did a Craigslist rescue of a Silver B for right at $200 when all was said and done and am thrilled with it.

As for holding up well over time, it depends on how the rest of the grill looks. Is the frame or the grill tub itself rusting out ?

If those are in good shape, replace the guts and you are set for quite some time.

You could use stainless steel flavorizer bars from rcplanebuyer on Ebay

Couple that with some nice porcelain enamled cast iron cooking grates from Home Depot

There are less expensive grates or flavorizer bars, but from what I gathered reading other threads here, this would give you close to the best longevity for a great price.

These two would be right at $103 plus whatever tax you would pay at Home Depot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave W (Demosthenes9):
You could use stainless steel flavorizer bars from rcplanebuyer on Ebay

... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was just going to suggest this if you decide to do the rebuild (which I think you should). I got some of these and I am fairly certain I will NEVER need to replace them again. If the inferior stock PE steel ones lasted for 4.5 years of almost daily use, I'm pretty sure these over-engineered SS ones will last forever. Plus, they are cheaper than the Weber SS flavor bars.

Pat,
You are so right, the burners look like they just need a good cleaning. The only thing I noticed is the cross tube has detached. One end looks slightly broken off, but there still seem like there is enough tube to slide back into each burner. Maybe 1/4" to 5/16" on both sides. Will this work?

Dave,
Thanks for the SS flavor bar link. Very nice.

Justin,
I was just at Home Depot today gawking at those cast iron grates. They are a bit pricey, but I remember those PE steel ones feel cheap. Do the cast iron ones rust? I was also wondering do you simply wire brush them between cookings or clean them with soap?

What do you folks recommend for a grill cover?

Thanks for all the great help guys!
-Dave F.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave F:

Justin,
I was just at Home Depot today gawking at those cast iron grates. They are a bit pricey, but I remember those PE steel ones feel cheap. Do the cast iron ones rust? I was also wondering do you simply wire brush them between cookings or clean them with soap?

-Dave F. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was actually making a push for the SS flavor bars off ebay. Never had those CI grates, but I'm sure they are great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You could use stainless steel flavorizer bars from rcplanebuyer on Ebay </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great post, Dave!

This guy also sells his version of the SS rod-type grills used in Summits. I think I know what I'm getting for Father's Day.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justin W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave F:

Justin,

-Dave F. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was actually making a push for the SS flavor bars off ebay. Never had those CI grates, but I'm sure they are great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_smile.gif

I picked up the ones at HD for my Silver B and was very happy with them on my first cook. Will have to see how they hold up over time.

On a side note, I put one "right side up" and the other "upside down" just for experimentation and found that I liked "right side up" better.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Cutchen:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You could use stainless steel flavorizer bars from rcplanebuyer on Ebay </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great post, Dave!

This guy also sells his version of the SS rod-type grills used in Summits. I think I know what I'm getting for Father's Day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Steve. I saw postings about those SS grates but just couldn't bring myself to spending the extra cash on them. Cast iron was good enough in my book.

(Then again, I have a Silver C as well that might need to have the grates replaced pretty soon..... Hmmmm ......
icon_smile.gif
)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave W (Demosthenes9):
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Cutchen:

Great post, Dave!

This guy also sells his version of the SS rod-type grills used in Summits. I think I know what I'm getting for Father's Day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Steve. I saw postings about those SS grates but just couldn't bring myself to spending the extra cash on them. Cast iron was good enough in my book.

(Then again, I have a Silver C as well that might need to have the grates replaced pretty soon..... Hmmmm ......
icon_smile.gif
) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a silver C and I replaced mine with those exact grates about a month ago. Here's a post I did on them with pictures. The sear marks are amazing.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...40039023/m/830104315

After having used them for a while, I can't recommend those highly enough. I know they are pricy, but if you plan on keeping the grill I think these would be the last grates you'll ever have to buy for them. They are so heavy duty (19 pounds) that I can't ever see see them wearing out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justin W:

Great post, Dave!

icon_smile.gif
) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a silver C and I replaced mine with those exact grates about a month ago. Here's a post I did on them with pictures. The sear marks are amazing.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...40039023/m/830104315

After having used them for a while, I can't recommend those highly enough. I know they are pricy, but if you plan on keeping the grill I think these would be the last grates you'll ever have to buy for them. They are so heavy duty (19 pounds) that I can't ever see see them wearing out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I read through that thread when I was researching grates. They look great and do make for some very nic grill marks.

BUT, I went the cheaper route
icon_smile.gif

Seems that the cast iron makes some nice grill marks as well
icon_biggrin.gif

30321_405373029184_562169184_3827617_4099481_n.jpg

Looks awesome!

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying anything negative about your choice of CI. I wouldn't expect any different (than those awesome sear marks) with CI. I think it's the best you can get for retaining heat (and therefore searing meat). That's why I was so nervous about paying extra for stainless steel. I was therefore very pleased I could get an adequate sear with SS as well.

The only reason I brought it up was because you said you might be replacing your grates for the Genesis C. You sounded like you were considering rcplanebuyers SS rods so I thought I'd share my experience with mine.

Anything is a step up for the cheap PE steel that came stock with my grill...which is saying alot because I used those and was totally happy with them for 4.5 years.
icon_wink.gif

Is it even worth considering the Weber stainless steel cooking grates, Part No. 7521. Home Depot's online price is 49.99 and ships free.

Is it even worth considering the Weber stainless steel cooking grates, Part No. 7521. Home Depot's online price is 49.99 and ships free. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave, I wouldn't say that it shouldn't be considered. I guess the feeling is that solid SS and PCCI are "better", but that doesn't mean that the SS grates in question are "bad" by any means. They just aren't as "good" as the others.

I guess what it boils down to is if you want to spend as little as possible for an acceptable result, those grates would be fine.

You could even pass on the SS flavorizer bars and get the porcelain ones.

Might add that I'm pretty sure that the grill originally came with that grate, so it's not like you would be stepping backwards with it. The SS and PCCI could be looked at as upgrades.

Is it even worth considering the Weber stainless steel cooking grates, Part No. 7521. Home Depot's online price is 49.99 and ships free. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd definitely consider them. In fact, I think if your goal is primarily (value) cost/milage, these might be your best choice. They will most likely last as long as you have your grill which is exactly the limit to how long you need them to last where as the cheaper PC steel grates will probably only last 3-5 years (mine lasted 4).

The CI and SS rods are for good sear marks. They will most likely last longer too, but they cost more. My plan is to keep these grates as long as I have this grill and then when the grill dies, hopefully use them on the NEXT grill.

Long story short...If I wasn't addicted to good grill marks, those are probably EXACTLY what I would buy.

Back