removing wooden handle (on 2-rivet style)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TroyRedington

TVWBB All-Star
I want to remove some wooden handles on a couple old grills. They're held on with two metal rivets. (i THINK they're rivets anyway)

The top of the rivet is perfectly flat, i'm scared to attempt drilling - don't want to mess up the wood.

Troy, I removed the riveted handles from two grills WITHOUT noticeable damage to the wood handles.
Both I removed seemed like ALUMINUM rivets and came off quite easily.
DSCN4380.JPG

I used a flat screwdriver head and gently worked it in between the two pieces of wood on BOTH sides of the handle.
DSCN4755.JPG

Also, in between the top portion of the handle and metal portion on the grill handle.
DSCN4754.JPG

I certainly took my time doing this and before I knew it, the rivet expended to the point of release.
I then replaced the rivet with stainless screw and nut hardware after sanding and preserving the wood handle.
DSCN4766.JPG

DSCN4767.JPG

GOOD LUCK!

alright Jim, I used a flat screwdriver like you said.

The bottom worked off, but i couldn't get the rivets off through the metal part of the handle.

Since they were soft, I got out the hack saw.
The saw cut through the first rivet like butter. Then on the last stroke of the saw, it cut through my index finger like butter as well.

it went deep enough to squirt dark red blood over the grill and the saw, but luckily NONE got on the wooden handle parts!

I can't say the same for the carpet in the living room as i dashed from the garage to the kitchen.

I'm now sporting a pink princess bandaid.

I'll finish the handle work tomorrow
icon_smile.gif

Been there done that! Get well soon Troy.
icon_razz.gif

Hey Jim, can I see a picture of the screw and nut you used and please let me know the size of them. It doesn't look like it protrudes at all on the bottom. Is the nut countersunk? Thanks!

HoleySmokes Troy!
Whaddja go do that for??!!
Shoulda taken a wire cutters to the rivet . . .
Well, ya probably wanted new carpeting anyway. Better yet, tear it all out and install wood, cleans easier.
Butt, have someone ELSE do it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
HoleySmokes Troy!
Whaddja go do that for??!!
Shoulda taken a wire cutters to the rivet . . .
Well, ya probably wanted new carpeting anyway. Better yet, tear it all out and install wood, cleans easier.
Butt, have someone ELSE do it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i couldn't find my wire cutters
icon_frown.gif

also, my wife has already asked me to install hardwood - i agreed, but only if i find someone willing to help. luckily my friends are also unhandy like me, so no one is willing to help
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
Hey Jim, can I see a picture of the screw and nut you used and please let me know the size of them. It doesn't look like it protrudes at all on the bottom. Is the nut countersunk? Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sorry Shaun, I did not see your question earlier... i think the screw and nut is 4mm stainless. I get my hardware from work, German stainless metric.
The bottom of the handle was counter-bored for the rivet and the nut size I used fit perfectly inside the c-bore.
the screw i used was to long, so i ground it to the correct size so it did not protude and burn fingers.
Sorry, I have no other photos.
I'm sure your local hardware store carries the correct sized screws and nuts.

ok i finished removing the handles.

i also removed the handles on my '79 smoky joe.

now its time to sand and stain. any advice for that?

I noticed the handle on the super old 26" red is considerably darker than the others.

It also still has holes from its manufacturing process. it's interesting to see
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back