GRILLED or SAUTÉED HERBED POLENTA

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
This is a really versatile recipe. Add or subtract seasonings to your heart's desire. Great with braised meats that have a little gravy. I'm thinking of trying to substitute a little masa harina for some of the cornmeal for a more Mexican-type flavor. Maybe with some toasted dried chiles? Minced fresh serranos? The mind reels with possibilities!

Rita

GRILLED or SAUTÉED HERBED POLENTA

Makes 8 servings, 3 triangles each. If you prefer, you can cook the polenta in the oven instead of on the stovetop. Once the cornmeal is all moistened, cover the pan and put it in a 350°F oven for about 20 minutes. Give the polenta enough time to firm up and chill before you slice it into pieces for the grill.

1 1/3 cups (7.5 oz, 210 g) coarse yellow cornmeal (I like Arrowhead Mills yellow grits - Whole Foods or health food stores)
4 cups (32 fl oz, 33.8 oz, 960 g) chicken broth (homemade or Swanson regular)
2 tablespoons (1.0 oz, 28 g) unsalted butter (for pressure cooker, add butter with the cornmeal; for stovetop method, add it with the cheese)
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste (I used 1/2 tsp; canned broth is salty)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
2/3 cup (2.0 oz, 56 g) grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
1 1/4 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme

NOTE: To make soft polenta, decrease the amount of cornmeal to 1 cup.

AT LEAST 1 HOUR AND UP TO 24 HOURS BEFORE GRILLING:
1. LINE THE BOTTOM AND SIDES of a quarter sheet pan (13" x 9-1/2" x 1" = 123.5 sq”) with plastic wrap.

2. Bring the chicken broth to a boil and season with the salt and pepper.
Add the cornmeal in a stream, stirring constantly until it has been all added.
Simmer, stirring often, until the polenta starts to pull away slightly from the sides of the pot, about 25 minutes.

3. Remove from the heat and blend in the cheese, butter (stovetop method), rosemary, and thyme.
Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if desired.

4. Pour the polenta into the prepared pan.
Let cool to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold enough to cut into shapes, at least 1 and up to 24 hours.

TO GRILL THE POLENTA:
1. PREHEAT a gas grill to high, OR build a fire in a charcoal grill and let it burn down until the coals are glowing red with a light coating of white ash. Spread the coals in an even bed. Clean the cooking grate.

2. CUT the polenta into 12 (3" x 3") squares. Cut each square in half on the diagonal to make 24 triangles.
For grilling, I coat the polenta triangles with a mixture of melted butter and olive oil (but not before sautéing). (RDY)

3. GRILL TRIANGLES over direct heat until marked and crisp on the first side, about 4 to 5 minutes.
ROTATE THE POLENTA a quarter turn after about 2 minutes of grilling time to give the pieces crosshatch marks, if desired.
FLIP THE POLENTA ONCE and finish grilling on the second side, about another 4 to 5 minutes. (No need to rotate on this side.)
SERVE very hot on a platter.

TO SAUTÉ THE POLENTA:
1. PREHEAT A SKILLET over medium-high heat.
Add some butter and olive oil and bring to sizzling.
Add the polenta triangles and sauté until nicely browned on each side. A spatter screen might be helpful.

Miss Rita, you are very kind to share. There is always something new to try. I bet some of my guys who don't eat my cheese grits...

Thank you, Steve. I hope you try and enjoy it. Your guys remind me of a friend who refuses to eat mayonnaise but loves my salad dressing / dip. He asked me what was in it and I told him the truth...I made the dressing from scratch with an egg, oil, lemon juice, etc.
icon_wink.gif

Rita

Back