Rotisserie Ring (Weber Kettle / Weber Smokey Mtn) - question on fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Mc

Hello all -

My wife was kind enough to give me a Cajun Bandit rotisserie bundle as a Christmas gift. Having both a kettle and a WSM she got me the ring that fits both.

When I took the ring out of the box and set it on the kitchen counter I noticed it didn't sit flush. I could rock it back and forth a bit. I didn't expect perfection and figured it would be fine. Used it twice on my kettle and noticed no issues.

I've decided a Ribolator is probably next and recalled a suggestion from Brian Moriarty that threading the spit end through the ring's hole and then into the motor can be a bit of a pain (Rotisserie help, please ) so I made a couple cuts on the rolled edge of the ring - changing the hole into a U shaped cutout. By rolled edge I mean the one that is up when the ring is on a kettle.

Now the ring seems to rock a bit more when placed on a flat surface like a kitchen counter. If I rock it all the way down flush with the counter on one side and measure the other it is 9/16 of an inch off the counter. This measuring it on the counter was after I noticed it now would take more than just gravity to hold the kettle or WSM lid securely on top of the ring. I have to push the lid downward - which in turn causes the ring to flex a bit to accomodate the lid.

Whether you have cut a U shape or not, has anyone else noticed issues with the kettle/WSM lid needing to be pushed downward onto/into the CB ring?

Does anyone have ideas on how to correct this issue with the ring? It is holding this out of round shape very well. It does not respond to me trying reshape it by flexing it.
icon_mad.gif

well bruce, i bought one last month along with the ROL and, although it may "rock it back and forth a bit" for you, have you tried fitting it on your kettle or smoker?
Mine fits tight, butt works great.
I also did the cut out on both sides for EZ removal of the spit rod...
Butt i have no complaints at all. done four cooks so far without a hitch.
Try fitting yours on both the kettle AND the WSM before trashing it.
icon_smile.gif

Tried it on both - and as I said I have to kind of force it. Pushing downward on a lid to make it fit properly isn't a big deal. My concern is that when I lift the lid off, the ring may try to come with it.

i would try and bend it a bit. if not then talk to cajun bandit about it. for sure at that price i would not accept this.

George - I tried to bend it a bit. Applying as much as an estimated 150lbs by pushing it repeatedly against a wooden fencepost. It just snaps back into it’s out of round shape. Actually out of round isn't the right way to describe it. A better way to put it would be to say that when the ring is placed on a level surface the wall of the ring should be plumb - i.e. exactly at a 90 degree angle to the flat surface of the counter. Mine wasn't initially, and it may have changed a little for the worse when I cut the one spit hole into a U shape opening.

Troy - it doesn't fit well on the grill or smoker – it rocks. That is what led to my taking it back to the kitchen counter to measure just how out of whack it is.

Appreciate the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back