First smoked turkey.

Brian Staley

TVWBB Fan
I am in the deep fried turkey camp. After the first fried turkey years ago, I said I would never have it any other way. It is beyond great. But since I now have the WSM, I figured I would run a test bird to see if I want a change this year. That, and the beer club is meeting tonight at my house tonight.
So I started with the Apple brined turkey from this site. The brine smell was off the charts, and I air dried for 24 hours. The bird is in the smoker now, and I will post pics soon! Wish me luck!

I have done the same apple brined turkey. Was a hit for everyone exept me. Not banging the recipe,but the amount of wood i used. Go easy on the wood and enjoy. Report back m8!

Wow. so many things to say. The turkey is done, and the turkey is gone. It was very good, but not as good as I thought it would be. But then again, we had about 17 different beers from so many different places.
First off, it was done about 2 hours sooner then I thought it would be.I followed the directions, and even cooked about 25 to 40 degrees lower, but it was done far to soon. So I had to hold in foil, so my skin went from crisp to not....
Second, even with 6 fist sized chunks of apple, the smoke wasn't what I thought it would be. I wanted to be careful with the wood, like I am with chicken, but it didn't work out like I thought it would.
So unless I change this up a bit, it looks like I will go back to the deep fryer for the holidays.

Back