Ranch Dressing problem

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
Kevin, you posted the following (the thread is no longer available). My Ranch Dressing remains thick enough to coat for about 2 days and then begins to thin, as do other buttermilk/mayo/sour cream based dressings I make.

Would ClearJel (modified food starch) be a reasonable or good fix to keep the dressing thick? I've never used the product and I read that there is an instant version which is used for cold applications, whereas the regular is used for thickening heated or canned foods such as gravies and pie fillings in place of cornstarch.

Does anyone else have any experience with these products?

K Kruger, June 07, 2007 – ....Make the BASE FOR A RANCH DRESSING by combining in a blender ~3/4 cup buttermilk (or yogurt) with ~1/2 cup mayo. Add about 2 oz (1/4 of a package) of cream cheese which you've allowed to soften on the counter plus about 1/2 cup of finely grated asiago (a fine Microplane is good here so the cheese will be very fluffy); blend well then add a splash of rice or white wine vinegar. Taste for cheese and texture adding a little more asiago if needed or a little more buttermilk if you want it thinner (I like it to end of a bit thicker than heavy cream). Add 1 teaspoon granulated onion, 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic, and a few turns of the white peppermill. Chill for an hour or more to let the flavors blend. (The dressing will firm as it chills. Whisk gently, strew a few dollops about the salad bowl, toss, add a dollop or two more, toss again and serve.)

The dressing--cold from the fridge and somewhat firm—makes a good vegetable dip. The morning after the steak dinner, I spread some on an omelet just before topping it with steamed asparagus, wilted spinach and caramelized shallot and folding it.

Rita

Natural separation can occur over a fairly short time if you are holding the dressing/sauce.

I like Instant ClearJel but actually find a better solution to this problem is xanthan gum. Though it seems expensive, relative to Instant ClearJel, very little is needed (generally 1/8 tsp/cup; for thick dressings start with 1/16 tsp/cup and adjust as needed), so whatever you buy lasts for ages. It also works better after the fact (after the recipe is made) than Instant ClearJel, which can be prone to clumping if not mixed with other (usually dry) ingredients first. (In pie fillings, e.g., one mixes it well with the sugar first.)

Xanthan has interesting shear properties. When shear forces are applied - like when shaking a dressing in a bottle to mix it well, or using a blender to remix it after it has been mixed in first - it actually thins. When shear forces stop it thickens again.

For other apps Instant ClearJel works quite well (it is often used with xanthan, btw) but it should be noted that its heat tolerance works just once and cannot be repeated. In other words, if you are using it to stabilize a sauce, say, or a pie filling, it will work fine when the item is heated or cooked the first time - but not again. Usually this is not a problem.

One can find xanthan locally, should you decide to go that route (WF-the Bob's Red Mill area, near the flour; health food stores) but you often cannot find smaller quantities at a reasonable price at retail. Online sources are usually better for smaller quantities.

Remember the shear forces issue when blending. You can put your dressing into a blender (measuring it first), add the xanthan while running the blender on low, mix well, then stop the blender. Let it sit several moments before checking viscosity. Remember: shear forces (like the blender) make it thin, which is why manufactures recommend shaking the bottle of xanthan-stabilized dressings - it makes them pour better; moments later, however, the dressing will cling better to the salad ingredients because it will thicken again.

Instant ClearJel, ClearJel and xanthan are good items to have handy in your pantry. One or the other, or a combo, can utterly save a dressing, sauce, filling or gravy in moments.

Note that Instant does not require heating, as you note, but is best mixed with dry ingredients first. Regular does require heating.

I get stabilizers here. Note the product info of each item. That will remind you of uses/restrictions.

One more thing: for thick-ish vinaigrettes, especially for those where you wish to minimize the oil addition, start with about 1/8 t xanthan per 1/2 cup vinegar. Note that you can make 'vinaigrettes' with no oil whatsoever, using xanthan.

Kevin, all I can say is Wow! I've been looking for information like that for years and didn't know the right question to ask.

I checked Barry Farms' product list and see Guar Gum, which I notice on many food labels. How does it compare with xanthan? I see that it also seems to keep vinaigrettes emulsified.

Rita

Guar gum in many instances can be used interchangeably with xanthan. It does not require heat either. It is used frequently in frozen items because it prevents the formation of ice crystals. (I sometimes use it - a little - in ice creams because, though I enjoy them, I eat small amounts and not often, and whatever I make needs to hold for some time in the freezer.

I don't use it for more than that, though you can. Dressings, sauces, etc. Note that it is prone to clumping: it must be sprinkled evenly over whatever it is you're using it in. (Use a spice shaker.)

Both xanthan and guar gum take a little experimenting to get levels right without gummy results. Start with less, add more only if needed.

Thanks, Kevin, for all the great information. A huge help. I'll be ordering tomorrow.

Rita

Great info. Kevin, for ice cream you use the same ratio of xanthan as for thick dressing, I.E., 1/16 tsp per cup?

I have the same problem when I make ice cream. Usually ends up in the freezer for awhile.

Yes, or 1/4 t/quart.

For ice cream, treat it like guar, i.e., do the spice shaker thing. After you've made your mix and it cools, sprinkle evenly over the surface, stir to incorporate, pour into your machine, start the freezing process.

One more question, please:

If one were to freeze a flour-thickened sauce, which of the additives would you recommend so that it would maintain its thickness after thawing?

Thanks,
Rita

As I mentioned upthread, it can take a little experimenting to get the level of thinkening/stabilizing you seek, without going overboard. When using these products it is worth noting the quantity used as well as some details about the item you are using it with. E.g., if you always make, say, an ice cream base or a particular dressing one way, it's fine to note that you used, say. 1/4 t of xanthan with this or that item and leave it at that. If, however, the base you made is different (maybe this one has an egg or two more) or the dressing has mustard in it (an emulsifier), it is worth noting these details. That way, when you refer to your notes in the future, you'll have a better sense of how these products worked in the particular 'environment' they worked in.

Xanthan-stbilized items have a somewhat 'stretchy' quality; guar-stabilized items have a somewhat 'spongy' quality. Both are used in baked items, especially when baking gluten-free items for those with celiac disease. One uses xanthan in breads or bread-like items, guar in cakes or cake-like items.

In some cases both are used, and if you have both feel free to use both in an item if it seems like that might be called for. E.g., not only can one prevent crystallization in ice creams (and other items that will be frozen), but a common use of the combination of the two is in ice creams where one wishes are softer, more 'scoopable' texture. (For that, try 1/4 t each per quart; if necessary, leave the xanthan level at 1/4 t/qt and up the guar to as much as 1/2 t/qt (this often depends on ice cream base contents).

The qualities of each become their downfalls if used in excess - even by a little, which is not surprising considering how little is needed. Work with them, note what you are doing. They can be quite handy.

I'm lucky I caught your last post. I seldom get a chance to browse the forums like I used to. I hope j. catches it too.

I usually take pretty good notes when I cook, but it's worth a reminder, especially the details that you mention. You'll probably be hearing from me when I begin playing with my food.

Thanks again,
Rita

Same here Rita. I really want to experiment mostly with ice cream. "scoopable" after storage has been a problem at times. Especially when in the fridge for more than a week or so. I'll have to get some of each and give it a go next time I make a batch. Thanks for all the detail Kevin.

Update: For a 2-cup recipe of Ranch Dressing made with a cream cheese base, I used 1/16 teaspoon xanthan gum and it was perfect. I let some of the dressing stand in the refrigerator for 2 weeks and it was as thick as when I'd first made it, and it coated the salad greens very nicely.

It's almost like magic. Thanks, Kevin!

Rita

Back