Stoker Probe Calibration

I have a few questions regarding probe calibration. I have read through the different threads in the forum on the subject but they did not answer my questions.

Is using heated oil a more accurate means of calibrating a probe then boiling water?

What volume of oil or water is necessary for a good result in calibrating.

What does the "CAL" number in the Stoker software correspond to?

What are the exact steps that should be taken to correctly calibrate a Stoker probe?

How often should the Stoker probes need calibrating?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Costello:
I have a few questions regarding probe calibration. I have read through the different threads in the forum on the subject but they did not answer my questions.

Is using heated oil a more accurate means of calibrating a probe then boiling water?

What volume of oil or water is necessary for a good result in calibrating.

What does the "CAL" number in the Stoker software correspond to?

What are the exact steps that should be taken to correctly calibrate a Stoker probe?

How often should the Stoker probes need calibrating?

Thanks for any help you can provide. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll try to answer a part of your question. First of all, H2O is used because it will boil at exactly 212° at sea level with a barometric pressur eof 29.92 inHg, it's the law, and... they are lots of ways to find out at what temp water will boil in your kitchen, therefore you have an exact reference point. Exact meaning +- 1°. Oil takes that precision out of the picture and you have to find a new reference point, like a precision thermometer.

GO here for the way to determine when water should boil in your location. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/boilingpoint.html

Once you find this temp, you will use it for the calibration. Compare this number to what your probe reads.

Setup: fill a small pot say 1 qt 3/4 full, and bring to boil, turn the heat down to a slow boil. Submerge only about 1" of the probe into the center of the boiling water and wait until the temp stabalizes.

Probe calibration: The numbers associated with the calibration are arbitrary numbers that have no useful meaning all by themselves. They are more of a reference. If you have a calibration value on a probe of 34, and it is reading 2° lower than it should, adjust the calibration upward by 1 point and check again. If you went the wrong way, re-think, it if went too far, go back. That's it in a nutshell. Trying to get it closer than 2° is a waste of time and probably an exercise in futility, so refer back to the water and oil paragraph.

How often? Depends on just how picky you are, they really should not go out of calibration unless physically damaged.

Thanks Ken for your reply which is very helpful. I received a replacement Pit probe and there was no "CAL" number with it. I want to make sure the temp reading is accurate.

Back