Chile Relleno Casserole

Wayne_R

TVWBB All-Star
Thinking of doing one on my WSM. I've seen recipe with and without tomato sauce. Which do you think is better?

And if you have any favorite recipes of your own for this dish, let me know!

Without. Bake almost till completely done then top with sliced tomato, returning to the oven to finish. Or skip that step. But without tomato sauce in the casserole.

Either make a tomato-chile sauce to serve on the side, or one of chilies only, like one of the sauces (#1, 2, or 3) here.

Use a recipe where the egg whites are beaten separately from the yolks, till the peaks are almost stiff. For very light texture bake in a bain marie.

I got about 5 Poblanos and put them in the broiler until skin got bubbly and charred on all sides (flipped a few times. Then I mixed 1.5 cups of cream with 3 eggs and a half cup of flour.
Took skin off poblanos and did a layer of poblano, cream mix, then cheese. Repeated till out of poblanos and put cheese on top. Cooked at 350 for 50 minutes. Wife wanted tomato sauce so put @ 3/4 to 1 can of sauce on top at 50 min. mark and cooked 10 minutes more.

1st time making this and turned out great.

Here are two versions. The are somewhat similar but are different in key ways. The first I use when using chilies only. Cheesy, th finish is lighter due to the separation of the eggs.

The second recipe can be made with chilies only but because it is made differently it has more structure. This means it can support more in the way of inclusions, whether upping the chile amount substantially, adding meat, or making it with lots of different additions. I tend to use it for this last way, often. I did this morning.

The first:

1.5-2 lbs roasted green chilies, fresh or if you prefer, canned, split, seeds and ribs removed

2 lbs grated cheeses - I use a mix of various Mexican cheeses, or sharp cheddar with havarti, jack, whatever

4 eggs, separated

12oz evaporated milk

1 Tbls flour

2 tsp sugar

salt and white pepper

Preheat the oven to 325. In 13x9-inch baking dish, alternate chilies with cheeses to make two or three layers.

Beat egg whites in a medium bowl until stiff. In a larer bowl, beat yolks until foamy. Beat in evaporated milk, flour, sugar, some salt and white pepper. Fold one third of the egg whites into yolk mixture gently, then fold in the remaining egg whites. Immediately over chilies and cheese.

Bake immediately at 325? for 30 minutes. Rotate pan then bake 15-20 minutes longer.

Let sit 10 minutes to firm before serving.

Nice with sliced tomatoes on the side, a fresh tomato salsa, a chile- or chile/tomato based enchilada-type sauce drizzled on or served on the side.

Thisis a pic of the pan after one layer of cheese - keep the grated cheese fluffy - and a layer of roasted poblanos. I used 6 large poblanos for this. Rather than bother with keeping them whole, I removed the seeds and ribs after roasting and chopped coarsely. Then I strew them atop the cheese.

I repeated, topping the above with cheese, then chopped poblanos, then cheese, then poblanos, then cheese. The batter, as noted in the recipe, I poured on top - carefully, so as to distribute it well. Then I let it set for a few minutes. After 30 min of cooking it looked like this:

I then added some sliced tomato to the top and let if finish cooking, another 20 min or so. Out of the oven:

And served:

This version is quite cheesey. But it has a certain lightness from the whipped egg white batter. One can lighten it a bit further, tecture-wise, by increasing the eggs to 6, rather than 4, and prepping the batter the same way.

The second:

8 eggs

1 lb cottage cheese

1 lb mixed grated cheeses (I use sharp cheddar, Gruyère, Parrano, Mahon, havarti, goat - usually at least 3 and sometimes 4 or 5 mixed togther) - mixed in a large bowl

1/2 c flour

1 tsp baking powder

.5-.75 lbs chopped roasted chilies, or as much as a few pounds of mixed cooked vegs - see note

1/4 c melted butter - see note

salt and white pepper

Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly oil or butter a 13x9 pan and lightly flour it, shaking out the excess.

Into the bowl with the grated cheeses add the flour and baking powder; toss well.

In a large bowl whisk the eggs till partially combined then whisk in the cottage cheese; combine well and whisk is a little salt and pepper.

Add to the egg mix the chilies or cooked vegs (see note) and stir to combine. Stir the contents of the cheese bowl into the egg mix, combine well, the dump into prepared pan. Smooth the top. Bake for 30 min, rotate the pan, then bake 12-15 more.

Allow to rest 10 min before serving.

Note: As noted above, I use this recipe when going heavy on chilies, vegs, combining wither or both of those with cooked meats, and so forth, because it has the structure to support hefty additions.

This morning's version - still made in a 13x9 pan - included an entire head of broccoli, which I first chopped and nuked with a splash of water, till it was tender; about 1.25 lbs asparagus, woody ends broken off and discarded, roasted in a 400 oven in a lightly oiled pan, then cooled and coarsely chopped; 8oz mushrooms, sliced and sautéed with a thinly sliced large onion and a diced rather large red bell pepper.

Because I was going to sauté the onions, mushrooms and red bell, I melted 3 Tbls unsalted butter into 1 Tbls evoo (making up the 1/4 c fat called for in the ingredient list). I lightly salted this mix when it was cooking, and added thyme and white pepper to it.

The broccoli I nuked till tender then lightly salted it as it cooled.

The asparagus was lightly salted when it roasted.

Upshot: if every component gets lightly salted (and peppered as you wish) the end result will be just the right salt level, or slightly low, meaning diners can add salt if the wish.

Pics below can be clicked for larger versions:

The separate bowls: eggs with cottage cheese; grated cheeses tossed with flour and b.p.:

Asparagus during roasting:

Onions, red bell and mushrooms (with thyme, a little salt, white pepper) sautéing:

All except the broccoli, combined:

Adding the broccoli to the bowl would have been too much. I dumped the contents of the bowl into the pan, then added the cooked broccoli and stirred it in. Just before baking:

Done, cut, and plated, pre fruit garnish:

Back