Handles on the center section...

G

On another board, they are talking about adding handles to the center section so you can lift it to add a larger qty of lump. Anybody had any experience?

I just did the mod using the Genie Universal door lift hanles # DLH-BP $4.58. Basically bolt them on, with minor bending.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Moriarty:
I just did the mod using the Genie Universal door lift hanles # DLH-BP $4.58. Basically bolt them on, with minor bending. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here; it was the first mod I did to the WSM. I had a Brinkmann before, which had handles, and I had gotten used to being able to remove the center section (a necessity, since it wouldn't cook more than a few hours without being refueled). If you cook without water in the pan, lifting the center section is no problem. If you use water in the pan, be very careful. Even if you don't spill water on your foot, spilling it into the fire will create a snowstorm of ash inside the WSM, some of which will end up on the food.

I get some universal pulls at Menards for less than $2 each. They too require a little bending but will bolt right on with the bracket bolts. I put 4 handles on each, that way regardless of how the WSM is positioned or where you're standing you've got 2 handles to grab.

Definitely going to be adding handles after this weekend. I did pork shoulder over chuck roast with a full water pan. Lifted the sections off to work on the coals; but it was heavy and risky.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike A.:
Ace Hardware, $5, standard pulls w/ holes 6" OC (I think), installed w/ no bending req'd. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike; thanks for the tip on the ACE Hardware handles, picked up a set on Monday and I now have something to hold on to....thanks bud!!

Back