PDA

View Full Version : Roasted Tomato Pasta

Steve Petrone
11-02-2018, 05:45 PM
A wonderful simple robust pasta. Lube a roasting pan with olive oil. Start with six medium ripe tomatoes (cut into wedges) drizzeled with olive oil and roast at 400* for 15-20 min. Next, add red, yellow or orange peppers and roast 10-12 min. Next, add one medium onion and a clove or two of garlic and roast 10-15 min. Season with salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning and red pepper.
In the process of roasting, the tomato wedges transition from the wedges to a soupy consistency to then partially dry out. This is NOT a Sauce in the conventional sense.
Once everything begins to dry and thicken, mix with pasta and enjoy the rich robust dish. Enjoy.

Don't over think=just roast tomatoes and add any anything of interest. Last week I added winter squash. Excellent.
Roasting concentrates the flavors. This is unlike any tomato sauce cooked on the stove. I may never go back!

Anne M.
11-02-2018, 09:52 PM
Sounds good.
Do you have any pictures?

Steve Petrone
11-03-2018, 04:49 AM
Sorry no pics. I discovered this by accident. My wife had some overripe tomatoes...the only way I felt I could salvage them was to roast them. On a lark, I went the way of marrying with pasta. Of course I was not the first to do this. If you google it, you'll see many examples.

timothy
11-04-2018, 10:36 AM
Steve do you blanch the tomatoes and peel the skins or leave them on?
Bet this would be good over charcoal, ala fire roasted.:)

Tim

Steve Petrone
12-05-2018, 06:00 PM
I kept it simple...skins on.
Fire roasting adds yet another layer of flavor. Excellent idea.

Ray Crick
12-07-2018, 05:02 AM
Thanks Steve - I will have to try this.
Ray

Steve Petrone
01-07-2019, 06:12 PM
Yesterday I did a full roasting pan of this sauce...I added a can of diced tomatoes to increase the volume.
Having grown up eating my mother's slow simmered sauce-I'm shocked how much I enjoy this. Tastes change.