Chuck Eye Medallions

Clark Deutscher

TVWBB All-Star
Piked up a chuck eye medallion at the butcher yesterday. Was a fair size at just over a pound. Salted and rubbed it tonight, grilled direct and finished indirect (it was a thick bugger). Sliced fairly thin. Grilled a slice of sour dough bread and some butternut squash, mushrooms, and red pepper sprinkled with a few herbs. Not too bad.

StrikeforceMiami228.jpg

StrikeforceMiami229.jpg

StrikeforceMiami232.jpg

StrikeforceMiami234.jpg

Clark

Love the combo.

Perhaps a drizzle of 'pan juices' (you'd have to create them) mixed with a wine/vin reduction and a butter mount drizzled on at service...? What do you think?

I think that would have been a great idea. This is the first steak I've grilled in ages. I've been loving the pan frying the last bit. How would you go about making the pan sauce? I'm thinking onion garlic, deglaze with vin and wine and add a little stock? A light sauce would have made it better for sure.

Clark

Yes, pretty much.

When doing a grilled steak but wanting a pan sauce one needs to finesse the process. One of two ways works: If the steak you are doing will be trimmed (or can be trimmed - fat including some lean), save the trimmings. If not, grab a little bit of something when you buy the meat - or pull it from your freezer stash: neck bones with some lean, a piece or two of 'oxtail' - that sort of thing.

Rub the piece(s) similarly to the way the steak will be rubbed but use much less. Sauté in oil on high till browned and definitely work the fond development angle. Pull the piece(s) out, add the (very finely minced) aromatics, sauté till softened, then add the meat pieces back in and deglaze with your liquid(s) of choice. (Doing it this way will pull more meat flavor into the base.) Remove the meat when you've reduced well, strain out the aromatic solids, if desired, then build from there, adding more liquids, further spices/herbs, if desired, and finish with a bit of a butter mount. Hold. When the grilled steak is done, swirl in some of the juices from the resting plate, a little at a time, tasting as you go.
Make sense?

Perfectly! I actually have a pile of ox tail in the freezer as well. I have a rib eye I picked up so maybe I'll give it a go tomorrow. Don't normaly do steak two nights in a row but why not! I'm all fished out anyways, they had the annual chowder chow down in town on the weekend, 12 chowders in one sitting has to be too much for anyone!

Clark

Hi Clark - I saw where you said you did a lot of pan frying of your steaks. I also do that.
icon_rolleyes.gif
A LOT. I'm not sure when people got off the old tried and true method of frying steaks and going to Broiling. Other than grillng outside you can add so much character to a steak frying. I don't think most people know that. My prefereed method is Direct/Indirect on a Weber grill but I've fried a thousand steaks. BTW - Nice job on the medallions. Ummmmm Ummmmmm. Great job - Bob B
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Other than grillng outside you can add so much character to a steak frying. I don't think most people know that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So true.

I love grilled steak, sure. But pan-frying offers numerous possibilities as well. Many do not understand this. I cannot tell you how many times I hear something along the lines of "Fried steak? No, I only like steak grilled...". Uh-uh. Many think that their favorite steak houses grill. Well, sure they do: on a flat-top or in a pan.

I agree for sure. I pan fry most of my steaks. I definately like a grilled steaks but there is nothing better than a pan fried steak. I first fell in love with the method a few years. I was at a restaurant I really enjoy in Winnipeg and ordered a pan fried rib steak with a marrow pan sauce. It was amazing. Been back a couple times and it still is! Another big difference I find is a nicer crust on a pan fried steak.

I grilled up the other steak tonight I'll post some pics soon.

Clark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyone have an idea on how to make a marrow sauce? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

man, that sounds good!

on the topic of pan fried steaks, I've done this countless ways. I like to deglaze the pan with either wine, sherry, or brandy. Add-ins include shallots, roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, and chopped dry-cured pork. The final addition is either butter or cream.

my favorite combo to date was shallots, mushrooms, dry-cured pork, sherry, cream, parsley.

perhaps Weber will soon come out with a "Stove Top Frying Pan" and any guilt can be put on the back burner
icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clark Deutscher:
Anyone have an idea on how to make a marrow sauce? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sure. Get a couple pound of marrow bones. Rinse well then soak in warm water about 15 min. Push on the marrow from the small end of the bone so that it comes out the larger end.

Cross-cut the marrow into rounds about 1/8-inch thick. Place in a bowl and cover with water or milk (my preference) and fridge for 24 hours, changing the liquid twice.

Cook your steaks while building your sauce. Meanwhile, bring a light beef stock (or a 50-50 mix of regular beef stock and water plus a little salt) to a simmer in a small pot. Drain the marrow and add it to the pot. Poach gently - at a bare simmer - 8 min. Remove the marrow carefully with a slotted spoon, stir gently into your sauce; serve.

Yup, a little fry never hurt anyone.

I like to sear a cut (steak, chop, chicken segment) and then finish (in pan) in a medium-high oven. Cook to desired temp and then use the pan for a quick sauce if needed.

It's easy to expand on this with mirepoix vegetables and lentils and broth. Good stuff.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark B:
Yup, a little fry never hurt anyone.

I like to sear a cut (steak, chop, chicken segment) and then finish (in pan) in a medium-high oven. Cook to desired temp and then use the pan for a quick sauce if needed.

It's easy to expand on this with mirepoix vegetables and lentils and broth. Good stuff. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Horrors ! I'm in the Grilling forum ! What am I saying !
icon_eek.gif

Sorry for being a complete nub here but what is that pan thing in the first pic and where can i get one? Its used for grilling veggies correct?

Back