Dissapointment in Foodsaver Turbo Plus

Brad Benski

TVWBB Super Fan
My old rival seal a meal was on the fritz tonight and I had just cooked a brisket to freeze for the Superbowl while I'm out of town until Saturday night. No problem, have been in the market for a new machine for awhile and had scoped out what was available.

Since the machine was needed immediatly for today's brisket cook I went to a local store and got the food saver turbo plus. After spending the 35 minutes round trip to get the thing out of the box it comes. Low and behold it's not vacuuming. Motor runs, if I press really hard on the lid it will suck down some but the progress LEDs never get past the initial one and the unit never automatically goes into the seal mode.

The gaskets look fine, but still they get taken out and reinstalled. No joy! Try the Mason Jar attachment, no vacuum. ****, now it's getting late and still not packed for tomorrow.

Back to the store and on the way decide to just get a refund. The old unit would work enough, but take 5 minutes to get a seal, to handle the brisket.

At this point my confidence is shaken in the FoodSaver Turbo Plus and the new leader of the pack is the Weston 2300. Both had features I was looking for and if there hadn't been the immediate need tonight I'd of chosen the Weston over the FoodSaver anyway.

I'm mostly happy with our foodsaver 2460. Two hogs so far and a quarter beef (last year). In one week another hog and in a few weeks 3/4 cow. In NO way is it a good machine but I would call it (barely) adequate.

I'd say you got a rare faulty device.
I have three foodsavers that have worked their tail off over the years without any hiccups (other than they don't like to be left in the truck on zero degree weather and then used)
Sucks you had to drive so far but I wouldn't lose hope in Foodsaver yet.

I have not liked my foodsaver either. I find I can only seal smaller items. Anything bigger and the machine won't vac it properly. As well I have to leave it constantly for the vac to repower. I've had it for about a year and a half and have been very unimpressed.

Clark

Originally posted by Clark Deutscher:
I have not liked my foodsaver either. I find I can only seal smaller items. Anything bigger and the machine won't vac it properly. As well I have to leave it constantly for the vac to repower. I've had it for about a year and a half and have been very unimpressed.

Clark

Maybe it's operator error.

Clark, I'm surprised to hear that comment. While the FoodSaver is not a rugged machine as I would like, I do have to say for the small investment I can't really complain. Actually, I could, but what do you expect for so little money...
Do you have one of the new Vertical machines or the older horizontals?

It is a horizontal one. I haven't tried the vertical ones yet. Honestly I paid over $200 for it from Costco so I expected a lot more. I will be willing to pay more next time for a better unit. It's not taht it doesn't work, it's just annoying that if I want to seal 10 pounds of bacon in 10 packages it takes an hour because the machine has to rest so much. Again, it will do it but it takes a long time.

Clark

Originally posted by BradP "p-nut":
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clark Deutscher:

Clark

Maybe it's operator error. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty straight forward to use I would have to say.

Clark

We had a couple of guys help us butcher a few weeks ago and we put them on two old trusty ones where they had to make the bags, seal'm, place food in and seal them and they were having all kinds of problems.

I'm not insinuating but just saying it's possible.
With my three we've probably packaged at least 50 hogs and about a dozen beef without any issues. Just gotta let'm cook down every once a in a while.

It is a horizontal one. I haven't tried the vertical ones yet. Honestly I paid over $200 for it from Costco so I expected a lot more. I will be willing to pay more next time for a better unit. It's not taht it doesn't work, it's just annoying that if I want to seal 10 pounds of bacon in 10 packages it takes an hour because the machine has to rest so much. Again, it will do it but it takes a long time.

Clark

I just got my bacon done and sliced last week. 13lbs. Took me about 20min total with my V850.
I've got some buddies that have went out and bought the latest and greatest Foodsavers and they can't begin to keep up with my older models.
Two of them I got used off of eBay about 4yrs ago.

Yeah I'm not really sure what the deal is. It just doesn't seem to have enough power. I'm with you on the old ones though, I had one for years and it was perfect. This one just seems to need constant rest. Like I say it still does it in the end but it's annoying!

Clark

Yeah I'm not really sure what the deal is. It just doesn't seem to have enough power. I'm with you on the old ones though, I had one for years and it was perfect. This one just seems to need constant rest. Like I say it still does it in the end but it's annoying!

Clark

What model so I know which one to avoid.
It's not black is it?

I don't suspect operator error in my case, but I did make several attempts to seal 3 different packages and also a mason jar. Also since I do have experience in vacuum sealing for over 5 years.

Anyway, I was disappointed in the fact I got a defective foodsaver but looking forward trying out the Weston which is what I really wanted anyway.

Originally posted by Brad Benski:
My old rival seal a meal was on the fritz tonight and I had just cooked a brisket to freeze for the Superbowl while I'm out of town until Saturday night. No problem, have been in the market for a new machine for awhile and had scoped out what was available.

Since the machine was needed immediately for today's brisket cook I went to a local store and got the food saver turbo plus. After spending the 35 minutes round trip to get the thing out of the box it comes. Low and behold it's not vacuuming. Motor runs, if I press really hard on the lid it will suck down some but the progress LEDs never get past the initial one and the unit never automatically goes into the seal mode.

The gaskets look fine, but still they get taken out and reinstalled. No joy! Try the Mason Jar attachment, no vacuum. ****, now it's getting late and still not packed for tomorrow.

Back to the store and on the way decide to just get a refund. The old unit would work enough, but take 5 minutes to get a seal, to handle the brisket.

At this point my confidence is shaken in the FoodSaver Turbo Plus and the new leader of the pack is the Weston 2300. Both had features I was looking for and if there hadn't been the immediate need tonight I'd of chosen the Weston over the FoodSaver anyway.

Ahh, those Weston's are the bomb. Been running mine for several years. Expensive, but HD. The Kitchen Aid mixer of the vac seal world. IMHO Bought my parents a FS Gamesaver Turbo Pro which has been working fine for them for quite awhile (see Bass Pro/Cabelas). They aren't cheap either though. BP and Cabelas sell a version of the Weston, but without the fan, I wouldn't bother.

I like that 1/4 inch seal and the 15" width on the Westons. Pleasure to use and you can get parts/repair them if something goes wrong.

Back