The best steak I've ever had--new procedure and recipe

John Wallace

TVWBB Member
We started out with three beautiful USDA Prime New Yorks from Costco, $11pp.

I've been smoke flavoring steaks for about 5 years now, but after playing with cold smoking I found that's a better process for steaks. The flavor is more of a added dimension rather than a dominant characteristic.

I borrowed recipes from Alton Brown and a few others, and synthesized a Cognac-cream sauce with mushrooms. It's very light and in no way detracts from the flavor of the beef.

I've never been a fan of Morton's or Ruth's Chris, and felt the rib-eyes I've smoke flavored and grilled have been better. These New Yorks were better than any steak we've had, including some from some great Chicago steakhouses.

Here's the complete procedure and recipes. Sometimes you don't quite get it right on the first run, but we got very lucky this time and wanted to share it because I think it's a winner.

Looks very interesting and looking forward to tasting the results.

John I stumbled across a few articles online at the examiner but dont think it was via tvwbb. Will look for your posts.

wow, what an involved process. I'm sure the results are there due to the time and process. Smoking first then grilling, woaah.. a wee bit much for me. Unfortunately, I'd love to give it whirl, but rarely would I have such time to devote to such process.

Quite a procedure... man, I'll bet the taste is awesome
icon_razz.gif
I've been known ta smoke 3-4 lbs of hamburger patties just to make some "killer chile"...hey, if you're thinkin ahead and have the smoker goin already...
icon_wink.gif

This is something I might try sometime soon, but I have a few questions about the aging, John. Do you apply any kind of marinade/liquid to the meat, or do you simply put it in "dry", so to speak? Also, when you poke holes in the plastic bag, do you pokes holes in both sides, or just one?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb, but I've never even done any reading on aging meat before, so I have literally no idea what's involved in it.

Chris, I don't add anything to the meat while wet aging, and I do poke holes in both sides of the bag allow better air circulation. Try to give it 72 hours aging.

As to the entire process, yes, it takes a little extra time, but not much. It takes no time to cold smoke for 1.5 - 2 hours if you're set up for cold smoking. If you're not you should be--plenty of ways to do that on here or in some of my articles.

Then you have a little marinating--nothing special. Then grilling--and the sauce if you want it (and I think you'll find the minimal effort worth your time).

Bottom line is if you want to throw a fine piece of beef on the grill and cook properly you'll have a fine outcome. These extra steps that take very little effort and time merely add to the love and goodness of your plated food.

seems like a perfect opportunity to break out the smoking gun. isnt that what is for? a little smoke bath before cooking to add another flavor layer?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I thought about that too. Good experiment for next time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lets keep this on the down low
icon_wink.gif
. I might have to revoke your weber when you tell me your next "best steak technique" involves, along with the smoking gun, vac bags, thermocirculators, and a propane torch.

Not exactly getting the wet aging part. it sounds like you are still dry aging the meat. Especially when you talk about moisture loss, as wet aging is usually in it's original cryovac packaging. There is no moisture loss. I bought a whole side of ribeye from Costco and threw it in my mom's cooler (she owns a 7-Eleven) for two weeks. No moisture was lost really. If you are poking holes, and getting air circulation, that most definitely is dry aging.

Joe, thanks for the comment. I've been reading up on it too and believe you are correct, and that my terminology is in error. I need to do some digging, especially from Alton Brown where I got the process. I'll report back. I hate it when I get things wrong!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the comment. I've been reading up on it too and believe you are correct, and that my terminology is in error. I need to do some digging, especially from Alton Brown where I got the process. I'll report back. I hate it when I get things wrong! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I've already done some major research on dry aging (ok not that major) but what you've done is fine, just change it to "dry" and you're good to go. Everything else looked just fine.

I'm curious about getting USDA Prime beef strip steaks from a concern like Costco for $11/pound. I know of no place to get Prime beef anywhere in central Connecticut. For example, Whole Foods has dry aged beef but its not Prime. Center of the Plate in Glastonbury doesn't advertise Prime. How did you or could you confirm it was USDA Prime? This is not to say that the steaks you purchased were not of excellent quality. I just question whether it was truly Prime beef.

Reid, the only confirmation I had was Costco's labeling of USDA Prime. I know the company pretty well from another viewpoint and they are about as straight in that regard as they come. Why would you suspect that a labeled claim is false, or am I misreading your concern?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Reid Smith:
I'm curious about getting USDA Prime beef strip steaks from a concern like Costco for $11/pound. I know of no place to get Prime beef anywhere in central Connecticut. For example, Whole Foods has dry aged beef but its not Prime. Center of the Plate in Glastonbury doesn't advertise Prime. How did you or could you confirm it was USDA Prime? This is not to say that the steaks you purchased were not of excellent quality. I just question whether it was truly Prime beef. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Costco gets a ton of prime. There is no concern here. it is prime. Whether it's top prime or bottom prime is a different matter altogether (it's not top grade prime). I can get prime pretty easy in San Diego. But they started showing up in Costco in large quantities about a year or two ago, once the recession started. These are related. Costco generally has a sterling reputation. I;ve bought a whole side of prime ribeye still in the cryovac packaging, with the USDA stamping right on it. I don't believe they forged it.
Here is more information about Costco prime discussing how the recession has led to more prime being available in supermarkets, costco etc.:
http://online.wsj.com/article/...286451880334042.html

A picture I took (I got it bone-in prime ribeye for $6.99/lb). You can see size, price and USDA stamps
IMG_3822.jpg

A picture of it after I dry aged it a bit. I overexposed it a bit as I am just learning this DSLR thing
IMG_3835.jpg

And finally, a piece cut not from the prime side of beef I bought, but a Choice side I also bought (yes $200 worth of ribeye for one steak party I threw). That's great marbling for choice!
beef.jpg

So my suggestion is, get thee to a Costco if you have one nearby. I had to call them in the morning to save me a whole side of prime, as they cut it up each morning. They put it aside for me. Once steakhouses start booming again, it may not be so easy to get

GREAT pictures and story, Joe. But...that Choice looks awfully close to the Prime, yeah? I've learned to pick through meat like it's on a sale rack at Macy's. Amazing the difference between cuts within the same grade, at the same store.

It does, doesn't it? But definitely cut from Choice. It was only that marbled on one side. Can't remember if it was the small side or long side. I cut it open and was like, dang, this is more marbled than the side of prime! Thats why I took that shot. But only about 1/3 of the side was that marbled. the rest was good, just not like that.

I remember reading the WSJ article. And your image of the USDA Prime stamp with a label showing $5.99/pound sure validates that you got some high quality meat at a great price, but I couldn't seem to seem "costco" on the label anywhere. Never been to a Costco - the nearest is 30 minutes away. I suspect Costco has an advantage in terms of bulk buying power. Have to give them a call and maybe make a road trip.

Reid - The Costco in Enfield has some great meat deals but it's always hit or miss. I live in town so I just pop in every now an again to see what they've got available. I'll load up on their pork and beef ribs whenever they go on sale. I've gotten whole choice tenderloins there several times and cut them nice and thick at home and they've always turned out great. I'd call ahead to see what they've got before you make the drive. I can let you know if I see anything good next time I go. I'll be out of town for the next week or so but I'll definitely get there before the Super Bowl.

Back