Interesting cinnamon information

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
My early attempts at yucatecan recados were pretty awful until I discovered ceylon cinnamon. I found it made all the difference. I recently saw cinnamon sold as canela and I was wondering if it wasn't similar or even the same. I quick googling yielded this which I thought was right on, so I figured I post it here, in hopes it will turn others onto this unique ingredient.

There are few ingredients used in Mexican cooking that affect the taste of a dish more than canela (true Ceylon cinnamon or soft stick cinnamon.)

It blends subtly with different seasonings and will not drown out other spices like the harsher cassia, the product sold as “cinnamon” in U.S. markets is not right for Mexican food. It actually comes from the cassia tree (Cinnamomum cassia) and other strong-flavored members of the cinnamon genus that are disdained in Mexico and many European countries as inferior substitutes for real cinnamon. I refuse to cook with this so-called cinnamon except in certain dishes where its sharpness is acceptable. Mexican cooks insist on a spice known as “true cinnamon” or “Ceylon cinnamon,” Cinnamomum zeylanicum, which we call canela. I had always assumed that it came from Mexico, since I had only seen it there. But it turns out that it is grown in Sri Lanka ( formerly Ceylon) and brought into the United States almost exclusively for re-export to Mexico at a hefty mark-up! When I published my book Food from my Heart cooks here were literally unaware of its existence but now experienced Mexican cooks know better.

Wherever one of my recipes specifies canela, I seriously beg you to use true cinnamon. It differs from U.S. “cinnamon” in both texture and flavor. The bark is softer and thinner, with concentric layers that splinter easily when you break off a piece. The color is medium tan, not reddish-brown. The pungent afternotes that U.S. cooks associate with the name “cinnamon” do not belong to our canela.

True cinnamon is available (in both powdered and stick form) from a few specialty spice and herb dealers. To be sure of what you are getting, specify “Ceylon cinnamon” or “soft stick cinnamon” but you should only buy it in stick form and grind it just before using. It loses its aroma very fast.

If you are obliged to cook with U.S. “cinnamon,” you could try to compensate by using 1/3 to 1/2 the amount suggested for the powdered form or by removing the stick from the dish after half the suggested cooking time. I can’t say that either of these expedients is very good. There is still a wrong note. Also, please be aware that when one of my recipes calls for putting true cinnamon stick in a blender with other ingredients, using cassia stick is courting disaster because it is too hard and tough. If you don’t have the real thing, substitute a little ground U.S. “cinnamon.”

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I seriously beg you to use true cinnamon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I quite agree. You will (or already have) find quite a difference.

No question it is best for recados but also use it in moles and atoles. I works well with chilies (obviously) but espicially, imo, when combined with chilies and sage or bay leaf.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No question it is best for recados but also use it in moles and atoles. I works well with chilies (obviously) but espicially, imo, when combined with chilies and sage or bay leaf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

where cassia sticks out like a sore thumb, I found ceylon to smoothly integrate and compliment the other flavors. My wife abhors "baking" spices in her savory dishes so in the past I've been reluctant to use cassia, but I slip ceylon in all the time and she barely notices.

Your right on the mole point. I took me a while to accumulate the correct ingredients, but now that I 'm there, its all starting to make sense.

since were on the topic, what's your opinion on the correct chocolate to use in a mole? I typically work with nestle's abuelita (yellow hexagonal package) because, like ceylon, I find it to be unobtrusive and plays well with other. However, it seems to be just a waxy, cheap chocolate.

Not to speak for Kevin, but the 2 times I've made mole (take that for what it's worth) I used a Mexican chocolate. I think the last time it was Ibarra brand which is sold in disk form. This brand does contain sugar. In my area, I have easy access to Mexican chocolate and many Latino spices/foods. Some recipes call for an unsweetened chocolate. Like many sauces, you'll find countless variations and recipes for mole.

Paul

So I had to check out where my Saigon cinnamon fit in. It and Indonesian are lumped together with Chinese as cassia.

Great, now I need to go on a hunt for yet another elusive ingrediant.
icon_rolleyes.gif
But seriously, it's all good. I learn a ton from the ingredients forum. Thnxs for posting this JB.

Interesting note below about the import ban of cassia in Germany due to it's blood thinning quality.

Check out the link for some pics that show the difference in stick appearance.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What is real cinnamon and how does it differ from cassia? Cassia and cinnamon sticks can be identified visually while ground cinnamon requires knowledge of origin.

Cinnamon is the dried inner bark of tropical evergreen trees in the genus Cinnamomum, native to Sri Lanka, southwest India and Asia. Of the over two hundred different varieties of cinnamon only a handful are readily available in global markets. These are often divided into two categories – “true” cinnamon and cassia.

What is True Cinnamon?

Often referred to as “real cinnamon” or “true cinnamon”, Ceylon cinnamon (C. zeylanicum or C. verum) is native to Sri Lanka. This cinnamon is lighter brown in color, papery and brittle and the bark coils into a single spiraled quill.

Ceylon cinnamon is rarely found in United States and has significantly less of the phenolic compound cinnamaldehyde, which imparts the spicy cinnamon flavor and aroma desired by American palates. Instead, this cinnamon has a more delicate and complex flavor, with citrus, floral and clove notes.

How is Cassia Different than Cinnamon?

Cassia is a term used to describe cinnamon that originates from China and elsewhere in Southeast Asia, primarily Chinese cinnamon (C. cassia), Vietnamese or Saigon cinnamon (C. loureirii) and Indonesian cinnamon (C. burmanii). These cinnamon varieties have a stronger, more intense and often hotter flavor than Ceylon cinnamon due to an increased percentage of cinnamaldehyde, up to 5-6% by weight.

Cassia also has a significant amount of the blood-thinning phytochemical coumarin which has led Germany to ban its importation.

How to Identify Cassia vs. Cinnamon

American labeling laws do not require a distinction be made between cassia and Ceylon cinnamon in the retail market, however the overwhelming majority of ground cinnamon found within the United States is a variety of cassia.

Cinnamon and cassia sticks, however, have obvious visual markers which make them easy to identify:

cassia is dark, reddish brown whereas Ceylon cinnamon is light tan in color
cassia sticks form a "double-scroll" whereas Ceylon cinnamon appears rolled like a cigar
cassia is thick and hard whereas Ceylon cinnamon is thin and brittle

Which is Better - Cassia or Real Cinnamon?

The choice between cassia or cinnamon depends on intended use and taste preference of the individual. Cassia cinnamon is more popular in the United States where its flavor is associated with hot, spicy cinnamon candy while Ceylon cinnamon gains popularity in Latin American countries where it is a key ingredient in Mexican style hot-chocolates. Cassia is also an ingredient in Chinese five-spice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Taken from: spices.suite101.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Great, now I need to go on a hunt for yet another elusive ingrediant. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got my ceylon at penzey's. they sell both cassia and ceylon.

I was a little confused because pensey's listed it as a product of sri lanka, which when I heard mex cinnamon was canela got me thinking I didn't have the right stuff.

Its always interesting how herbs, spices and other ingredients get around and become ingrained into foreign cuisines. I'd like to know more about how a spice from sri lanka could be a staple in mexico.

I recently was researching Caribbean cuisine and it was interesting how salt cod became a staple in the islands and molasses and rum became staples in new england as a result of the slave trade.

Back