Char Q Burgers

Pat Smith

TVWBB Wizard
I love to cook BBQ whether its on my WSM, the Kamado Joe, my Smokey Joe Mini or a trash can.

I love to cook steaks on the Performer, any size Weber kettle or my ancient cast iron hibachi.

BUT sometimes, nothing is more satisfying than a big, juicy, seared burger cooked on cast iron grates over charcoal - the solution - my Weber Char Q!

These were hit with a shot of Worcestershire sauce and a dash of Weber Gourmet Burger seasoning. Sesame Seed Bun, fresh, vine ripened tomato slices.

Picture worth a thousand words:

20100812BurgersQ220.jpg

Looks great ! How much of a shoot of coal does it take to fire up the Char Q full tilt ? And how well do you like it ? Pros and cons ? Iam seriously considering buying one over a smaller kettle as the Char Q seems to built like the Q line . Great quality and built like a tank .

How is it controlling temps and . how well does it heat up and hold temps ? Is cooking with the Char Q like the gas Q were you must keep the lid closed ? Any and all info would be great also has it got the taller lid like the Q 220 ?

Thanks

Guy - I responded to your other thread and will answer your questions and give a more complete Q testimonial when I get in from the office tonight!

Suffice to say I am a Char Q fan, as well as a Performer fan, a WSM fan, a OTG fan, a Smokey Joe fan...... Well, you get the picture!

Pat

I have a number of Weber's kettle grills, a WSM, a Q 220, and a Char Q.

My take on the Char Q vs. the other Q grills:

As you suggested it is built like a tank -- this thing will be around a while.

If you really fill it up with charcoal -- particularly lump -- it will get REALLY hot. Much hotter than my 220. I was curious how hot it was, so I measured the grate temperature after dumping lump charcoal into it and letting the grill preheat a bit. The thermometer registered around 750 degress!

Because of the heat, it isn't as essential to keep the lid closed to cook, unlike the gas grill, which tends to lose a bit of heat once the lid is off.

For direct, high heat, I think the Char Q is among the best grills that Weber makes, and with the cast iron grates, the sear marks are incredible. For more moderate temps, you can simply use less charcoal. I find that it holds the heat for longer periods of time than the kettle grills, and the vents make it relatively easy to dial in the temperature you want.

Downsides? It's heavy, and the grate itself is heavy, so adding charcoal, while possible, is a bit challenging. Plus, I think it's more expensive than it should be. For indirect cooking, there are probably better choices, but for direct high heat, I think it's the best grill that Weber offers.

I hope this helps!

Thanks guys The heavy part don't bother me at all ! I have kettles and a WSM and a Q100 and am soon buying 320 and this a most likely come home that day also as Personaly IMO I think the Q line is built the best of all the Weber products cept maybe my WSM 22
icon_smile.gif

Its just my wife and myself with now and then cooks for my daughters family here so its plenty big .When Iam 2 lazy to fire the kettles up I do just fine with our Q 100 so Iam sure the Char Q a do just fine . It a please my daughter she will get one a my older kettles we have had here for the better part of 30 yrs :O)

Than again
Guy

Does it have a 2 piece grateI have saw pics in some ads on sites that shout it with a 2 piece grate ?

I added a vent on one side of my CharQ to help with getting the heat all the way across when cooking indirect. I also shortened the charcoal tray so it sits deeper in the body to be able to put a bigger pile of lump in. A temperature guage in a silicone plug put in one of the vent holes works well for monitoring temperatures when cooking indirect. The bottom vent can be adjusted to control temperatures.CharQ modifications

Back