Broken switch Maverick ET73

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
On the backside of my Mav ET73 Remote Transmitter is a two-position switch whose tiny knob/handle broke. And now, to turn the unit off or on, a tapered matchstick or paperclip must be inserted into the remaining part that's integrated with the circuit board.

Anyone out there also had this problem and know of a work-around or some other quick fix? I suppose that the broken switch could be replaced with some sort of external switch purchased at an electronics shop.

Depending on how big the remaining piece is, you might try either (1)gluing a short piece of wood/plastic to it, to replace the part that broke off, or (2)screwing into it a tiny screw (I tend to salvage all kinds of hardware from old electronic devices and some of the screws are small enough to work) to serve the same purpose. Failing that, you could just take the battery out between uses. Or, you could install a new switch (which would be more complicated, but less of a kludge).

If you haven't already, give Maverick a ring and just see what they say. I believe they have a good customer service department. Also, mention this site when you call. I suspect a ton of ET-73s have been sold to members here, so that might carry some weight.

Tom

Although I recently sent them an email (during the holidays) to inquire about a fix, I'll try telephoning for a quicker response to see if they can do something for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Barineau:
If you haven't already, give Maverick a ring and just see what they say. I believe they have a good customer service department. Also, mention this site when you call. I suspect a ton of ET-73s have been sold to members here, so that might carry some weight.

Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

THANK YOU, Tom, for the suggestion. I just received the following reply from Maverick:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Terry,

If you mail the unit back to us we will replace it free of charge.
Just sent it to --

Maverick Industries
94 Mayfield Ave.
Edison, NJ 08837

please make sure you include a note with your name, address, phone #, and brief explanation of the problem.

Thanks,
Elizabeth </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maverick seems to have pretty good customer service. A few years ago a friend in Australia accidentally burned up both his probes using them in a grill, and Maverick replaced them for free (even though there was no fault in the product at all).

I never could get mine to work right. Unfortunately, it was after the 90 day warranty period when I first tried to use it. I ended up tossing it and am still looking for a better replacement. Good luck!

Pat

tjkoko--I love it when a plan comes together!!!

I figure the things probably cost them a fraction of what they sell for, so they can afford to give good customer service.

I've had mine for years and wouldn't trade it for anything.
I use my DigiII for my smoker temp, but still use the ET-73 and two probes to monitor meat temps at both levels. Really handy to have when smoking different types or sizes of meat, also.

Tom

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael G.:
That switch is a joke. I, along with many others, just turn a battery backwards, and then put it right when needed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Michael G. speaks the truth, this is exactly what I do. its a PITA but it works and its allot cheaper than buying a new one.

Yall ever heard the old saying, "You can lead a horse to water..............."????
icon_wink.gif

T.

Back