GrateGriddle experiences?

Mark R (LR)

TVWBB Super Fan
I love my GrillGrates. At a time when I was considering options (like a cast iron skillet) for a getting a good, whole-surface sear on steaks, I noticed that the GrillGrates folks had introduced a flat, solid GrateGriddle. I'm trying to up my game and move from the safety of easy-to-achieve grill marks to the less forgiving but more desirable full-surface sear. I wanted to try the GrateGriddle as a possible low maintenance alternative to a CIS. I got a GrateGriddle not long ago and have tried it a few times but haven't "nailed" a steak sear yet.

Do any of you have any experience with the fairly new GrateGriddle? Any tips or suggestions on how best to use it?

I have a GrateGriddle but haven't used it yet so can't give a review. As to the full on sear you speak of, you can just turn your GrillGrates upside down and achieve the full surface sear you speak of.
I wish I could take credit but have to give that to Meathead Goldsyn at www.amazingribs.com

I LOVE my GrillGrates!

I don't have the GrateGriddle, but do exactly as Dan B suggests, and use the upside down GrillGrates. They are awesome for that full surface sear. I cooked over 60 hamburgers sous vide, on Sunday, and seared them on my upside down GrillGrates. Got compliments from most everyone.

I too LOVE my GrillGrates!, and don't know how I ever got along, without them! IMO GrillGrates are one of those must have things, like a Thermapen, or a Maverick ET-732/ET-733...

I agree wholeheartedly! I have a brinkman collapsible tailgate grill. It's handy for tailgates and such but used to have trouble with hot spots and flare ups. With the GrillGrates, even temps all the way across and no more flare ups! And nothing falls through the grates anymore!

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree about the GrillGrates being one of my favorite and most-used accessories. I tried the upside down GrillGrates a couple of times, and got a weird flavor both times. I cleaned them well before trying it both times, but somehow, I didn't get what was causing the problem.

Back