Missouri > St Louis/Olivette: Sugarfire Smoke House

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
http://sugarfiresmokehouse.com/

My daughter has been wanting to go to Sugarfire for a few months.
We went yesterday, along with my grandson.
Located in a small strip mall on Olive Blvd.
DSCF1017.JPG

DSCF1018.JPG

One smoker in front, didn't check out the setup in back.
DSCF1019.JPG

Heavily rubbed baby backs going in while we were in line.
DSCF1021.JPG

Service is cafeteria style, this is the meat order end.
DSCF1025.JPG

Down the line sides are loaded.
DSCF1026.JPG

Ample dining area, inside and out.
They open at 11:00 AM, we were in line at 10:50 with only 5 in front of us.
A line quickly formed behind us.
DSCF1027.JPG

All three of us went the sandwich route, each was $9, with one side.
I opted for a daily special, Sudden Death Overtime.
Hashbrown casserole, pulled pork, chipotle & white bbq sauces, and a side of collards.
DSCF1029.JPG

Grandson Blake went with the Big Muddy.
"Brisket debris, smoked sausage, horseradish sauce, BBQ sauce, lettuce, pickles."
DSCF1030.JPG

My daughter had the smoked portobello sandwich.
"Double decker with special sauce, lettuce, balsamic onions, pickles, and American cheese."

She couldn't decided between baked beans, and mac & cheese, so the server said I'll give you a half order of each.
We shared sandwich bites, and an order of pork belly hush puppies with jalapeño jelly.
DSCF1035.JPG

Plenty of house-made condiments:
Sweet BBQ Sauce, Hot BBQ Sauce, Carolina Mustard Sauce, Hot Sauce, Ketchup, Mustard, Ranch Dressing, Garlic Mayo, Special Sauce, Sugarfire 47, Horseradish White Sauce, Coffee Sauce.

Everything was very tasty.
The pulled pork and brisket were both moist, and tender.
(didn't try the mushroom, but daughter loved it)
The smoke flavor was medium on everything.
We will have to go back for the ribs, and to try the meats with some of the different sauces.

I ate at Sugarfire and tried the ribs, pulled pork and brisket and a number of sides. The food was cooked beautifully, excellent moisture and tenderness. But I was looking for some more smoke and a stronger seasoning. I prefer the BBQ meat to have the bulk of the seasoning and flavor, not the sauce and I think Sugarfire was lacking on flavor a bit. The sides we had were all good. A lot of people love Sugarfire so I don't want to steer people away, but if you have not been to Bogarts or Pappys, I would recommend those places first. For ribs in STL, Bogarts is the best in my opinion. So in summary, Sugarfire is significantly better than most, but is not the best BBQ in STL.

Back