Cordite stone on weber 22" cooking grate

Jo Torez

TVWBB Super Fan
I have the old style kettle pizza where the stone is placed on the cooking grate.

We made the pizza and then left the stone on the grate to cool off and kept the stone on there. I live in the north east and we've had rotten weather. I've noticed that the grate rusted so I thought maybe it was a grate that was switched (camping, we take 2 22" one mine, one a friend). Called weber and they sent me a new one, they just thought it was a bad batch. Fast forward, made pizza again a few weeks ago and it seems that the same thing is happening again. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?

Long story short, the pizza stone keeps rusting my 22" cooking grates. May have to consider getting a pizza steel instead.

Any advice is also appreciated.

Surface rust that wipes off with a scrubby or deep pitted rust? I store mine on the bottom rack of the oven and never had any rust. Seeing you store it outside it's prolly trapping moisture between the bottom and top of the grate.
Is it a flat bottomed one? Mine has circular ridges which hold it up about 3/4" above the grate. You could add some non-com spacers to see if that helps with the moisture.

Tim

Surface rust that wipes off with a scrubby or deep pitted rust? I store mine on the bottom rack of the oven and never had any rust. Seeing you store it outside it's prolly trapping moisture between the bottom and top of the grate.
Is it a flat bottomed one? Mine has circular ridges which hold it up about 3/4" above the grate. You could add some non-com spacers to see if that helps with the moisture.

Tim
The one prior was a little deep. This one when I saw was surface. I want to give it another week or so to see.

The stone is completely flat too.

I think timothy is probably on to something.....

I've thought about getting a CI pizza pan, here's a quick amazon search w/ the site's link:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=...&tag=tvwb-20&url=search-alias=aps?tag=TVWB-20

If it was me I'd start with the 14" Lodge Logic, but that 20" Bayou Classic looks fun too!

Yes but I need something completely flat that I can slide the pie on and off. They have a newer one I may consider.

http://www.firecraft.com/product/ke...FCWEB___GSHP&gclid=CL-Hw9ngur0CFeJF7AodQU8A_w

The one prior was a little deep. This one when I saw was surface. I want to give it another week or so to see.

The stone is completely flat too.
Timothy is on it.
The stone is trapping moisture.
If these are new grates, they should clean up with steel wool.

Clean and oil the grate.
Store the stone separately.

Timothy is on it.
The stone is trapping moisture.
If these are new grates, they should clean up with steel wool.

Clean and oil the grate.
Store the stone separately.

Yes I kinda figured. I guess I'll have to keep it in the oven. Ok thank you joe. I'll bring it in today.

Back