Just Took Delivery on a New Lodge 10" Cast Iron Griddle - Now What?

R. Hutchins

TVWBB Fan
The postman arrived with the package containing the Lodge griddle I ordered several days ago. I read the label which says to wash it in hot water and not to use harsh detergents and that it is not dishwasher safe. The label says, after drying it thoroughly, rub it lightly with vegetable oil.

In the past, I have soaked cast iron utensils in vegetable oil and baked them in the oven on high heat (>450°F). Should I do the same to this griddle? I am reluctant to just run hot water over something that has been who knows where. With a compromised immune system, I use soap a lot. I just cannot see using this without first sanitizing it with soap or with prolonged high heat.

Anyone?

Is it new? Everything Lodge sells is seasoned already. I still add a couple of more layers when I get it. It is probably not necessary to do that but I like to do it anyway and I can tell a difference when I am done.

FWIW , I got a new lodge Dutch oven for Xmas and I washed it good with hot soapy water and then coated it with veg oil and heated it up. I don't think one washing is going to destroy the seasoning. I'd rather be sure it's clean starting out. Moving forward I will only clean it with hot water .

Thanks, Guys!!

I washed it with some very dilute Dawn dish washing liquid and dryed it thoroughly I then coated it liberally with canola oil and it is now baking at 425° F for an hour.

Thanks for the reinforcement.

Everything Lodge sells is seasoned already.
While true, it's only an initial seasoning. CI takes a lot more than what Lodge sends out the production room door. I usually start most CI cooks with either bacon or bacon fat I had from previous cooks. And the cooking surface is still pretty rough so it's easy for stuff to stick.

Back