second try chicken on mini with Cowboy lump charcoal

Jeff Padell

TVWBB Pro
I decided to try what was suggested by a couple people on the forum, Cowboy Lump Charcoal to get the temp up higher.

I filled my charcoal ring and then put in 2/3 chimney of lit lump, had to rearrange it to get the pot to sit down on the base.
The temp climbed to 350 and stayed there rock solid for my entire 2 1/2 hour cook, it worked well, but the lump is more expensive.

Did chicken and Italian Sausage. Let them cook for about 1 1/2 hours unattended.

and did that work better ? did you like the outcome ?

The high heat but also using less "smoking" wood made a big difference. I put less smoke on it, keeping to blue smoke, only one chunk of orange tree wood rather than me usual 3.

Today I am going to try something else. I noticed the sausages around the edge of the grate got alot more heat than the chicken in the middle. I am going to rearrange the chicken to "face out" have them arranged like a star with the meaty parts out to try to get crisp skin.

another thought I am using a heat sink, that is 12 inches in diameter, I may try the 10 inch one that I have to allow more heat around the edges, or would it really allow more heat? I will have to think about that.

I'm using a 9" pie pan and kinda wished it was a bit bigger in diameter.

When I do legs on the mini (such as you posted) after they're cooked/smoked, I'll drop the cooking grate back into the bowl and grill the legs direct until the skin is good-to-go.

Back