Handles on Mini and cooking Turkey Legs

Jeff Padell

TVWBB Pro
Handles on Mini Top Grate and cooking Turkey Legs

I made a change to my Mini, I added handles to the top grate, I used the round-eye bolts turned sideways to make them easy to pickup with gloves.
I didn’t add any to the lower grate because it is a SJ grate the fit to get paste the hanger and the thermometer is very tight you have to angle it just right, but it could be done. Also right now I think that if I put something on the bottom grate, tomorrow it will be a whole 6 pound chicken, I would put something that will go on first and off last.
Having to tilt the lower grate to get it in you can’t lift it out with the food still on it.
Today’s cook is the SJ Gold, tomorrow will be the SJ Silver. I have fallen in love with the mini, I can do a 6 to 12 pound bird as well as 4 turkey legs or thighs or 10 chicken thighs, that is a ton of food!

One thing I see is that to test the temp on the turkey legs without a remote probe I will have to take out the top shelf, I am going to put in a gromet tomorrow.

Turkey started on top rack and then moved to bottom rack when I put on the chicken

Last edited:
So obvious, but so ingenious. Handles on the top grate - I shall add these to mine.
Have you looked into the 12" long thermometers for checking the lower rack? Our local HD sells them.

Don't know if you can see the side of the pot, but I have a BBQ thermometer between the top grate and the bottom grate and is fairly accurate.

I should send it to Chris for the Mods page, it is easy simply bolt, 2 nuts and washers each and tighten them up, if you need more space you can go with a thinner bolt or turn the bolt parallel to the pot

Jeff, Great idea. I added Stainless Steel U-bolts to my Mini WSM cooking Grates since they are low(er) profile, yet serve the same purpose as your idea. Love the Turkey Legs though.... great looking.... I bet they turned out awesome. Have a great one.

Ali

Back