Q320 in the cold??

Mark R-S

TVWBB Fan
Hi Everybody!

I'm going to buy a new gas grill, and I was originally thinking about getting either a Spirit 320, or perhaps a Genesis, but then I read all the good things that people have had to say about the Q grills, so now I'm thining about getting a Q320.

I don't need anything too fancy, but I would like to grill all year round, and I wondered how well the Q320 would work in the cold and wind compared to other grills, like the Spirit or Genesis. I live pretty far north, and when I say 'cold' I mean anything down to about -45C
icon_smile.gif

-Mark.

Mark
At -45C even the flames would freeze.
I just did some sausages for lunch on the Q220 it was about +3C the temp got to 425 (usually 450 - 475) There was a wind blowing and all parts of the Q were exposed - the sausages cooked perfect.

Sorry I have no experience at those temps

Regards

I probably won't be out grilling when it's -45, but you never know - When you gotta grill, you gotta grill
icon_smile.gif

I'll certainly grill when it's below freezing though.

The Spirit 320 is only a bit more expensive than the Q320 over here, so I wondered if it would be better in cooler weather. The Spirit is much more powerful than the Q, but it's also much bigger, so which one is hotter?

-Mark.

I don't know how hot the Spirit gets but my Q320 gets to over 500 within 10 minutes on high.

Ken

There is not much difference between the Spirit and the Q300 series in terms of lid temp, where the difference lies is the fact that the spirit has a thinner lid and a larger surface area. I suspect that the Q300 series would be better suited to the cold weather, however without and comparative test results and can not categorically say it. One of the factors that could affect my conclusions it the exhaust areas of each and any wind affect. There is a exhaust gap on either side of the Q300 series which is not shielded. The exhaust area on the spirit is at the back and is shielded. There is also an exhaust are on both sides of the spirit where the lid drops down which is shielded.
The shielding will reduce the heat loss caused by cold airflow from the prevailing wind.

Cheers

I've also been looking at the venting arrangements, trying to decide which would work better. I am a little concerned about the the vents on the side of the Q, but I should be able to shelter it adequately. Overall though, I just like the design of the Q320. It looks more efficient, and it's lower gas consumption shows it. I noticed that you quite like the Q grills, Mike, and it's amazing to see what they can do in the right hands
icon_smile.gif
I'll probably go and buy a Q320 at the weekend.

-Mark.

Mark
I not only like the Q, (mine is a 220)I love it. I have cooked in it using just about every technique, and cooked just about every type of dish. The two negatives that I have for it are -no side burner however I have one on my Genesis and I also cave a portable gas burner. the other is - no storage compartment however again I use the Genesis and I also have a plastic storage box that i have on the bottom shelf of the stand.

You wont be sorry

Regards

Ok, I'll sound off on this one. Get the Q you like best, mine is the Q200. Plenty big for the weeknight cooking I do. It can get comparitively pricey, but you will never regret it, it is the best "portable" grill on the market. I use mine 3/4 times a week, winter or summer. I have 7 grills, this is the one I use all the time. Just make sure and regulary clean/scrape the inside with a plastic spatula and you will never have a flare up problem. Now, I don't get those temps, so you will need to do some planning and wind breaks.

Thanks to the feedback, and after a lot of reading I just bought a Q320 SE. The SE is just like a regular 320, but with a black lid.

I got as pretty good price, so I got a bit carried away and also bought a 22.5" Master Touch Gold. I Have only seen the MTG in Europe, but it's just an OTG with a Performer-style thermometer and lid holder. I've been thinking about getting a WSM for some time (which is how I originally found this site), but as I'll be doing more grilling than smoking I thought I'd start with this. Now I might retire my trash can smoker
icon_smile.gif

My old gas grill is similar in design to a Beefeater grill, and uses 3 times more gas than the Q320. It's just such an inefficient design, it's the SUV of grills
icon_smile.gif
I was tempted to buy a Genesis, as I was also offered a good price on one, but I just like the efficient design of the Q series. I haven't tried grilling on the Q yet, but I did fire it up to see how hot it gets, and I got up to a shade over 600F (320C) after 15 minutes!

-Mark.

Back