Help with a low carb side to go with Roadside Chicken

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
Hello.

I'm at home with a sick child today (my wife and I have been alternating days home with her since Tuesday) and I'm going to do dinner tonight.

I'm going to make Roadside Chicken and I need a side dish suggestion. Problem...my wife is trying to stick to a low carb diet.

I'm going to do this:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...0021414/m/2440014782

But I feel like I need something else also. I'm stumped!

Any simple recipe suggestions (since I'm caring for my sick little one and don't have a lot of prep time)? Bread, Rice, Baked Beans etc. are out
icon_frown.gif

Thanks in advance!!

Many of the veggies are low carb, you just need to avoid the starchy ones like you mentioned. You could grill egg plant or various squashes; brush with olive oil and season with s&p.Broccoli or cauliflower are safe; stir fried with a little onion and garlic add a little melted cheese of your liking. You can also puree cauliflower into a faux mashed potato recipe; steam cauliflower, add a little cream, butter, s&p and whip it up in the food processor. A nice tossed salad of mixed greens, tomato, olives, etc. is always a fav of mine.

Paul

Hmmm, pretty much fried chicken, would be nice to do the cabbage, and do a faux mash potato. Just use 50/50 Rutabaga and Turnips with some bacon bits thrown in or else roasted garlic. You can still add the cauliflower to the mix as well.

I'd recommend frying a few pieces of bacon, drain the fat and then break up. If you choose garlic take a head of garlic and slice off the top. Preheat the oven to 400 or 450 and roast for about 40-50 minutes in heavy foil. Let cool and squeeze out the garlic for mashing in with the veggies.

I would also skin the rutabaga and turnip (you can mix in parsnip too) cut into large chunks and roast them first (put some of the that bacon fat in the roasting pan) at say 350-400 until soft. This will help pull some of the liquid out to and make a thick mash, plus add flavor and some caramelizing.

Mash as you would potatoes with butter salt, pepper. Easy on adding liquid so things don't get to loose. If you do need liquid add cream or half and half (low carb and will help thicken).

This mash is often typical in Europe instead of using potatoes.

Otherwise - just use the roasted veggies as they are. Toss with some EVOO with a little balsamic, S/P and GP. Nice as they are, add some butternut or other squash to the roasting process is good for color. My wife absolutely loves it when I roast up parsnip, turnip, rutabaga, squash, sweet potato this way. In fact you might want to consider this instead of the mashed above, since you can simply put everything in a big roasting pan or DO and just check on it now and then. When they are soft but still firm your done, then toss in the dressing. This is REALLY GOOD! Don't be afraid to add in some fresh sprigs of herbs during the roasting process or chop some on top when mixing with the dressing. See my response in this thread for more prep info:

Roasted Root Vegetables

Like Asparagus? You're already grilling? Prep with light EVOO, S/P/GP and grill up some spears.

Have a recipe for a low carb cheescake if you're interested
icon_smile.gif

What about Brocolli and Bok Choy with oyster sauce.
Poach the greens for a few minutes serve with a little good quality oyster sauce drizzled over them.

Regards

Back