Temperature guages

David

TVWBB Pro
Kevin,

What type of temp gauges do you use on your grills, favoring one type over the other? And if cooking several pieces of meat, steaks for instance, do you check all of them or just one or two, knowing the grill cooks differently in spots?......................David

For me I like to know what each meat is doing. I have an et732 and a couple of other cabled thermometers. Gives me plenty of info. When I can afford it I will probably get a Stoker but since it costs more than my WSM22 it will have to wait till business is better. When I have the Stoker I will get a thermometer to monitor each piece of meat. The more info the better. I am not OCD but as a low voltage contractor, the more info I have the easier it is to do my job. I guess that gets carried over to a lot of the things in my life. Go figure.

Last edited:
David,
I am a have used a couple of temperatures gauges. I have a thermapen and use periodically an IGrill. Now I have used many different brands and these two seem to give me the best results. When I am doing steaks I actually use the firmness test with my index finger. I try not to use a meat thermometer on steaks and other foods grilled directly because you can loose a lot of flavor very quickly from poking. Also, Weber grills do an amazing job of having an awesome even heat across the cooking grate so I do not find an issue there. Where I do find an issue is the meat I grill. This is where thickness and type come into play. Not every steak is the same, even its the same cut and brand they can be different and cook very differently so I make it a point to test each piece.

Hope this helps

KK

Back